|Overview : |
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT PROCUREMENT NOTICE
Description of the assignment: Universal Design/Accessibility Consultant
Project name: “Achieving Kuwait 2035 Vision Towards Persons with Disability”
Period of assignment/services (if applicable): 2 months/ 45 working days
Duty station: Kuwait (est. 15 working days) and home based (est. 30 working days)
Proposal should be submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 20th of April 2017.
Any request for clarification must be sent in writing, or by standard electronic communication to the address or e-mail indicated above. The Procurement Unit of UNDP Kuwait will respond in writing or by standard electronic mail and will send written copies of the response, including an explanation of the query without identifying the source of inquiry, to all consultants.
This assignment is implemented within the framework of the Project: “Achieving Kuwait 2035 Vision Towards Persons with Disability Project”. The project is supported by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Kuwait office and implemented by the Public Authority for Disabled Affairs (PADA) of Kuwait.
The project “Achieving Kuwait 2035 Vision Towards Persons with Disability” supports PADA to enhance its human capacities and organizational effectiveness towards achieving its mandate. It supports its efforts at inclusion of Persons with Disability in schools, employment and social life in partnership with Civil Society Organizations working for disabilities and supports it to ensure an inclusive physical environment for PWDs. The project will continue until December 2018.
2. SCOPE OF WORK, RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESCRIPTION OF THE PROPOSED ANALYTICAL WORK
Universal Design has been defined as “design and composition of an environment so that it may be accessed, understood to the greatest possible extent” in a natural manner, in a wide range of situations and without the need for adaptation or assistance. In relation to electronic systems, “any electronics-based process of creating products, services or systems so that they may be used by any person”.
The purpose of this assignment is to develop a Universal Design Code that provides an accessible environment for Persons with Disabilities of various types in an optimum manner. Although Kuwait will seek to achieve Universal Design in the other fields: transport, ICTs and services, this assignment will focus on the built environment: i.e. Public buildings, facilities and open public spaces. Specifically, the assignment will include the following:
- Assessment of the existing situation:
- Draft the code based on best practice in Universal Design
- Conduct a presentation of the proposed code to relevant stakeholders and get feedback (Could be through teleconference)
- Finalize and submit the draft Code
For detailed information, please refer to the document: Terms of Reference
3. REQUIREMENTS FOR EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
I. Academic Qualifications:
- University degree in architecture, urban design, urban studies or engineering, a Master Degree in the same specialization is an asset
- Specialization in Universal Design or accessibility for persons with disabilities is an asset.
II. Years of experience:
- At least 10 years’ experience in policy development, advice, and/or design or technical implementation of projects related to Universal Design or accessibility to PWDs in the built environment, preferably in the public sector or international organizations.
- Proven exposure to concepts and principles of Universal Design and Universal Design guidelines and standards in the built environment, education, ICTs, transport and services
- Experience in writing Universal Design codes, in building codes, in developing guidelines, standards OR in training on Universal Design/accessibility (at least 2 years).
- Fluency in English is required and Arabic (speaking, writing, reading) preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience in one or more country the MENA region and experience the GCC countries specifically is an asset
- Cultural and political sensitivity
- Sensitivity to disabilities issues
- Conviction of the full rights of Persons with Disabilities and alignment with the values of human rights
4. DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE PROPOSALS.
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided by UNDP;
- Personal CV OR P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects that shows how the candidate meets the above requirements, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional referees;
- The approach to the assignment (no more than 1000 words) and proposed timeframe for start and completion of the assignment
- Signed Financial Proposal that indicates an all-inclusive Lump Sum Amount with a fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs, as per template provided. If an Offeror is employed by an organization/company/institution, and he/she expects his/her employer to charge a management fee in the process of releasing him/her to UNDP, the Offeror must indicate at this point, and ensure that all such costs are duly incorporated in the financial proposal submitted to UNDP. The consultant should be aware that the contract price is fixed regardless of changes in the cost components
5. FINANCIAL PROPOSAL
The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount, and payment terms around specific deliverables. Payments are based upon output, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the TOR. The financial proposal will include a breakdown of this lump sum amount (including travel, per diems, and number of anticipated working days).
Travel: All envisaged travel costs must be included in the financial proposal.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on Cumulative analysis which will be conducted through a desk review and an interview
The award of the contract will be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation:
Total score=Technical Score + Financial Score.
Technical Criteria weight - 70%, 70 scores maximum
Financial Criteria weight - 30%. 30 scores maximum
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 from 70 point in the Technical part of evaluation would be considered for the Financial Evaluation
The lowest qualified financial proposal receives 30 points and all the other financially qualified proposals receive points in inverse proportion. according to the formula:
P=points for the financial proposal being evaluated
Y=maximum number of points for the financial proposal
L= price of the lowest price proposal
Z=price of the proposal being evaluated
- University degree in architecture, urban design, urban studies or engineering
- Offerors who do not meet the language requirements
- Offerors who are not available in the specified duration (as this is a time- sensitive assignment)
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points out of 70 in the Technical Evaluation would be considered for the Financial Evaluation
University degree in architecture, urban design, urban studies or engineering
Master degree in given specialization
At least 10 years’ experience in policy development, advice, and/or design or technical implementation of projects related to Universal Design or accessibility to PWDs in the built environment, preferably in the public sector or international organizations
For each additional year of experience – 1 point, but no more 2 points in total
Proven exposure to concepts and principles of Universal Design and Universal Design guidelines and standards in the built environment, education, ICTs, transport and services
(please provide with minimum 2 reference links to documents drafted or published)
Experience in writing Universal Design codes, in building codes, in developing guidelines, standards OR in training on Universal Design/accessibility (at least 2 years)
For each additional year of experience – 1 point, but no more 4 points in total
At least 3 years of experience in one or more country the MENA region and experience the GCC countries specifically is an asset
Demonstrated understanding of the assignment
Fluency in English
Lowest financial offer
ANNEX 1- TERMS OF REFERENCES (TOR)
ANNEX2- UNDP Template for Confirmation of interest and Submission of Financial Proposal
ANNEX 3 – P11 form
ANNEX 4- UNDP General Conditions for Individual Contracts