|Overview : |
BACKGROUND / RATIONALE
World Meteorological Organization (MWO) established Global Telecommunication system (GTS) to exchange meteorological data among its member countries. The old National Meteorological Agency (NMA) of Ethiopia Message Switching GTS system failed and there is an urgent need to procure and install a new state of the art WMO-GTS system. The proposed system is envisaged to improve the means for meteorological telecommunications especially for pushing National Meteorological Data to WMO-Nairobi RTH in TDCF / BUFR format (table Driven Code Forms / Binary Universal Form for the representation of meteorological Data) based on WMO agreements. The system should also support collection of data from 18 synoptic stations through SMS text message via GSM/GPRS network in TAC format and convert the data into TDCF and send it to Nairobi Hub.
Synoptic (surface) meteorological stations traditionally report observation data in TAC format (Traditional Alphanumeric Code). The WMO (World Meteorological Organization) in the last 10 years specified a step-by-step migration from the TAC to the TDCF (Table Driven Code Forms) as for example BUFR. BUFR/TDCF are the only solution to the demands of the rapidly evolving science and technology for representation of new data types, metadata, higher resolution data in time or space dimensions and higher precision of data. The worldwide WMO migration has now reached its last step, and in the very near future NMA must be able to convert its TAC to TDCF and export them to Nairobi RTH for subsequent export of Ethiopian data to the whole world.
OBJECTIVES OF THE SUPPLY OF GOODS / EQUIPMENT / TECHNOLOGIES
The objective of this procurement is to enable NMA send synoptic stations data in the new coding system (TDCF) to Nairobi WMO regional hub.
It is, therefore, UNDP Ethiopia on behalf of government beneficiary hereby invites potentially qualified bidders to supply as per the detail technical specifications and/or “its equivalent” of:
- World Meteorological Organization (MWO) established Global Telecommunication System (GTS)
BID SUBMISSION INSTRUCTION:
- Strictly follow the instructions indicated in the ITB Proposal Submission Form uploaded hereto
- Both Technical and Financial Proposals shall be Physically or Courier delivered before application deadline May 10, 2017 on or before 10:30 AM Addis Ababa/Nairobi Time
- Physical Address of Delivery: Attn: UNDP Registry; United Nations Development Programme (UNDP); ECA Compound, Congo Building.; Central Wing,; 6th floor; P.O. Box: 5580; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia:
EMAIL SUBJECT LINE WHILE REQUESTING FOR CLARIFICATION:
- Bidders are strongly advised to send their request for clarification (if any) at email@example.com under email subject line ETH-ITB-2017-01