|Overview : |
PLEASE NOTE THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS EXTENDED UNTIL 16 DECEMBER 2018
Title of the assignment: Planning and Programme Design Specialist of the Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund Secretariat
Project name: Engagement Facility to support the Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund initiative
Period of assignment: Twelve Months with Possibility of Extension
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) hereby invites Individual Consultants to submit a Proposal for Recruitment of Planning and Programme Design Specialist of the Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund Secretariat.
Ethiopia has been implementing Diaspora engagement policies and establishing government institutions to engage the Diaspora over the past decade. Large numbers of Ethiopians or foreign citizens of Ethiopian origin are estimated to be residing abroad. According to estimates from UNDESA (2017), the top five host countries for Ethiopians and foreign citizens of Ethiopian origin are the USA; the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia; the European Union; Israel; and Sudan. In 2017, the Ethiopia diaspora provided the country with remittances amounting to one per cent of the country’s GDP, USD816million (World Bank, 2017). Through various fora, the Prime Minister of Ethiopia has appealed for support to government initiatives aimed at harnessing the contribution of highly qualified Ethiopian diaspora to Ethiopia’s economic and social development. The Government has recently established a Diaspora Council under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with mandate to devise and operationalize diaspora engagement policies.
Following the Prime Minister’s call to the global Ethiopian Diaspora to contribute to an Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund (hereinafter “EDTF”), the EDTF Advisory Council appointed by the Prime Minister established and lunched the EDTF (ethiopiatrustfund.org). The EDTF is intended to gather financial contributions from the Ethiopian Diaspora, Ethiopians willing to support the EDTF and Friends of Ethiopia and channel them back to Ethiopia to finance people-focused social and economic development projects aligned with the reform process. The Fund aims to finance projects that meet critical needs selected based on their potential to make the highest positive impact on groups and communities in Ethiopia in such areas as health, education, water and sanitation facilities, habilitation and rehabilitation of persons with disability, agricultural development, technology, small scale entrepreneurship and other income and employment generating projects. The EDTF will give priority attention to projects focusing on youth, women, small holder farmers, small enterprises and entrepreneurs, who can be agents of inclusive social and economic development.
A 15 members EDTF Advisory Council is appointed by the Prime Minister with a global mandate. The EDTF will have the Board of Directors, which is the apex governance body. It will comprise of eleven persons appointed by the Prime Minister, who will be drawn from the Ethiopian government, Ethiopian Diaspora who are recommended by the Advisory Council and Civil Society.
The EDTF Secretariat will be headed by an Executive Director appointed by the Board of Directors (hereinafter “the Board”). The Secretariat at its full establishment will include Deputy Executive Director who is a direct report to the Executive Director, Planning & Programme Design, Procurement, Monitoring & Evaluation and Communication. UNDP has been requested by the Government of Ethiopia to assist in the establishment of the EDTF Secretariat and would like to recruit national Planning and Programme Design Specialist of the Secretariat of the EDTF.
The purpose of the proposed technical and financial assistance is to 1) spearhead the establishment of the Secretariat of the EDTF, which is a key organ that will support the decision making of the EDTF Board and ensure the transparent, accountable, efficient and effective operation of the EDTF Secretariat including its overall project/programme selection, project/programme implementation, project/programme monitoring and evaluation to achieve results that create positive developmental impact to Ethiopia; and 2) accelerate starting the EDTF Secretariat operations while the EDTF finds ways to financially sustain the Secretariat from the second year onwards.
III. Area of Work
The Programme/Project Design Specialist is responsible for the following areas of work.
Achievement of the EDTF Objectives:
- Ensure the EDTF’s primary objective of utilizing the mobilized funds to finance people-focused social and economic development projects are achieved with effectiveness.
- Ensure the EDTF financed portfolio, while being demand-led, comprise projects that meet critical needs selected based on their potential to make the highest positive impact on disadvantaged groups and communities and are to the extent possible balanced in their sectoral/thematic and geographic coverage.
Establishment of the Secretariat for the Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund:
- Contributes to the preparation and maintenance of the EDTF policies and procedures for approval by the Board detailing project submission procedures, formats, report submissions, Implementation Organization (Government and public organizations, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and the Private Sector) management, Implementation Organization capacity assessment, audit the EDTF Administrative Bank Account etc. which provides necessary information to supervise, control and monitor EDTF Secretariat operations that ensures transparency, accountability and efficiency of the EDTF to achieve results that create positive developmental impact to the assisted disadvantaged groups /communities.
- Coordination with Implementing Organizations Management:
- Engage with EDTF eligible Implementing Organizations (Government and public organizations, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and the Private Sector); and other EDTF Stakeholders to ensure successful implementation of EDTF funded projects.
- Assist in establishing relevant policies and procedures to undertake objective and consistent capacity assessment of Implementing Organizations, undertake capacity assessment of Implementing Organizations and provide them support in proposal submissions.
- Review project proposals for submission to the Board after ensuring EDTF requirements are met.
- Prepare ‘Guidance Notes” to Implementing Organizations on project preparation, implementation, monitoring and reporting.
- Monitor agreed procurement, recruitment and implementation, practices of Implementing Organizations.
- Ensure organized schedule and proper preparation for capacity building activities such as training and awareness session for EDTF eligible Implementing Organizations.
- Follow up on EDTF eligible Implementing Organizations’ activities and projects and provides relevant and adequate technical assistance.
- Follow up and monitors project implementation of EDTF eligible Implementing Organizations by working closely with Communication and other Secretariat staff with respect to procurement, ethical guidelines and anti-corruption policy of the EDTF TOR.
Secretariat Reporting and External Communications:
- Prepares and submits timely quarterly, annual and other relevant reports as per the requirements of the EDTF Terms of Reference (TOR) on transparency and public disclosure.
- Ensures the preparation of Consolidated Quarterly and Annual EDTF Progress Reports based on reports received from Implementation Organizations for submission to the Board.
- Work with national, regional, sub-regional and local structures to foster knowledge of EDTF’s objectives that will lead to submission of quality project proposals for EDTF funding.
- Elaborate the EDTF’s objectives to EDTF eligible Implementing Organizations and identify opportunities that would support the achievement of the EDTF’s objectives.
- Any other duties the Board deems necessary for the EDTF.
IV. Institutional Arrangement / Reporting Relationships
- This position reports directly to the EDTF Secretariat Executive Director and works in close collaboration with the Communication Officer.
- To be the lead EDTF Secretariat staff regarding EDTF project funding, monitoring and reporting.
V. Qualifications/Experiences of the Consultants
Education and Experiences:
- This position is open for both Ethiopian nationals and Ethiopian Diaspora only.
- University degree in social sciences or development related studies.
- Excellent Computer skills such as Microsoft Office application.
- A minimum of four years of relevant work experience with development projects.
- Proven experience in project design, implementation and evaluation.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English and Amharic. Knowledge of other Ethiopian languages is an asset.
- Ability to work closely and establish positive relationships with local structure and to engage with various stakeholders.
- Capacity to impart knowledge and carry out successful outreach and use M&E tools.
- Ability to multi-task effectively, including having excellent planning, organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure.
- Communicates in a clear, precise and structured way, presents effectively.
- Analytical and problem-solving approach.
- Awareness of and sensitive to working in multiple socio-economic settings and with multi-cultural groups.
- Energetic and positive attitude with strong interpersonal and intrapersonal skills.
- Flexibility and team approach to programmatic work.
- Willingness to take initiative, work independently and think creatively.
Detailed Terms of Reference (ToR) attached as well as other requirements are listed in the IC. Those documetns are also available on UNDP ATLAS e-Tendering system” https://etendering.partneragencies.org UNDP/ETH10/Event ID: 0000003124 .
Your offer, comprising of a Brief Technical Proposal and Financial offer, should be submitted in accordance with IC requirements, through UNDP ATLAS e-Tendering system and by the deadline indicated in https://etendering.partneragencies.org
In the course of preparing and submitting your Proposal, it shall remain your responsibility to ensure that it is submitted into the system by the deadline. The system will automatically block and not accept any bid after the deadline. In case of any discrepancies deadline indicated in the system shall prevail.
Kindly ensure that supporting documents required are in the .pdf format, and free from any virus or corrupted files and Quotations. NOTE! The File name should contain only Latin characters (No Cyrillic or other alphabets).
You are kindly requested to indicate whether you intended to submit a Proposal by clicking on “Accept Invitation” button no later than 27 November 2018. If that is not the case, UNDP would appreciate your indicating the reason, for our records.
If you have not registered in the system before, you can register now by logging in using
The step by step instructions for registration of bidders and quotation submission through the UNDP ATLAS e-Tendering system is available in the “Instructions Manual for the Bidders”, attached. Should you require any training on the UNDP ATLAS e-Tendering system or face with any difficulties when registering your company or submitting your quotation, please send an email: email@example.com cc: Mekdelawit.firstname.lastname@example.org
For any technical problem in the system you can contact out technical team at email@example.com and cc: Mekdelawit.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that ATLAS has following minimum requirements for password:
1. Minimum length of 8 characters.
2. At least on capital letter.
3. At least one number.
New bidder registering for first time, system will not accept any password that does not meet the above requirements and thus registration cannot be completed.
For already existing bidders whose current password does not meet the criteria, when signing in, system will prompt you to change the password, and it will not accept a new password that does not meet requirement.
Online video guidelines available on the following link: http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/operations/procurement/business/procurement-notices/resources/
The bidders are advised to use Internet Explorer (Version 10 or above) to avoid any compatibility issues with the e-tendering system.