|Overview : |
“Removal of Barriers to Solar PV Power Generation in Mauritius, Rodrigues and the Outer Islands” project - 00076772
International Consultancy Services to Undertake Feasibility Study for the Setting Up of a Testing Laboratory for solar PV modules and associated equipment at the Mauritius Standard Bureau
Through the assistance of the Global Environment Facility and the technical support of UNDP, the Government of Mauritius is implementing the “Removal of Barriers to Solar PV Power Generation in Mauritius, Rodrigues and the Outer Islands”. The objective of this project is to accelerate sustainable on-grid PV electricity generation in Mauritius through targeted technical interventions.
Setting Up of a Testing Laboratory for solar PV modules and associated equipment at the Mauritius Standards Bureau
The Mauritius Standards Bureau (MSB) is a parastatal body operating under the aegis of the Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Consumer Protection. The Mauritius Standards Bureau provides technical support to private and public organizations in improving product and service quality, upgrading public safety, enhancing occupational health and safety, ensuring food safety and mitigating environmental impacts. It also offers premium certification, inspection and testing services through a single window. The testing laboratories operate in the fields of Engineering and Chemical Technology.
Currently, the Electrical & Electronic Engineering Laboratory of the MSB is equipped to carry out tests on electrical materials and products for various clients including Ministries, importers, power utilities and manufacturers. The laboratory is constantly upgrading its test facilities with the acquisition of new equipment to increase its scope of activities. However, the MSB does not provide for any testing services for Solar PV modules and its associated accessories. In this context, this laboratory is looking for an international consultant to assess the existing facilities and provide recommendation of any existing gaps with regard to personnel and infrastructure to ascertain third party conformity assessment and testing of solar PV modules and its associated accessories.
The main objectives of this assignment are to:
- Carry out a gap analysis of the personnel and laboratories of the Engineering unit of the MSB, particularly the Electrical and Electronic Engineering Laboratory, to identify the needs of the local markets with regard to conformity assessment and testing of solar PV modules and its associated accessories;
- Prepare a costed Implementation Plan for bridging the identified gaps in skills and infrastructure for testing of solar PV modules and its associated accessories at the MSB; and
- Prepare a Road Map for accreditation of the relevant proposed tests.
Scope of Work
The assignment would comprise the following activities: -
- Assessment of the needs of the local market with regard to conformity assessment and testing of renewable energy technologies (with focus on solar PV and wind generation) and document international best practices;
- Identification of tests and test methods as per the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), European Standards (EN) or other relevant standards which could be carried out at the MSB facility in line with the legislation on renewable energy technologies;
- Provide advice and specify new equipment required for the testing of RE technologies as per IEC, EN or other relevant standards for tests identified as stipulated in the proposed RE Standards;
- Assess the capacity of the MSB to conduct the required tests from an infrastructure perspective and develop floor layout for prescribed tests;
- Identify human resources necessary and training needs for the staff of the laboratory in the field of testing of renewable energy technologies products (with focus on solar PV and wind generation). In case additional specialised workforce is required to undertake the testing process, the consultant is expected to develop the job descriptions for the additional human resource required;
- Prepare a costed Implementation and Testing Plan for bridging the identified gaps in skills and infrastructure identified above for testing of Renewable Energy Technologies at the MSB;
- Prepare a Road Map for accreditation of the relevant proposed tests of the MSB.
Duty Station - Home base and Mauritius
During the field-based part of the assignment, the consultant will be based at the Mauritius Standards Bureau, Villa Road, Moka.
Duration of the Work
The International Consultant shall be required for 35 working days (2 field missions - 12-person days and 23 -person days home-based) over a period of 3 months as from 1 October 2019 until 31 December 2019.
Applications should be sent through email : firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 16 September 2019, Monday- Midnight, New York time (GMT+4 Mauritius time)
Annex A - Letter of confirmation of interest and availability and Submission of financial proposal
Annex B - Model Contact IC
Annex C - UNDP GCC IC
Annex D - P11
Terms of Reference