|Overview : |
The United Nations Development Program (UNDP) São Tomé and Príncipe on behalf of the UNHABITAT hereby invites you to submit a bid for the position of Construction Supervisor for the Project Sustainable Resettlement Project in Principe Island.
Interested candidates should submit his/her offer at the following address: Avenue of the United Nations, P.O Box 109, São Tomé, São Tomé and Príncipe or by email to email@example.com no later than 16 November 2019 at 05:00 PM.
Any request for clarification must be sent in writing, or by standard electronic communication to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com .
Thank you and kind regards,
UN-Habitat, the Regional Government of Principe (RGP) and HBD Tourism Investments (Donor) signed in February 2017 a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to define a comprehensive participatory sustainable human rights-based resettlement process of the Roça Sundy community. In this document, it was agreed that HBD shall provide the land for the resettlement area and the financial resources for the design and construction of the houses, infrastructure and basic public facilities, while the RGP shall provide the fullest title possible to the new houses ad respective owners, in order to avoid new conflicts over land. The RGP is also responsible for providing land for agricultural activities to the targeted population nearby the resettlement area and suitable land for a football field to be used by the community. In the framework of this MoU, UN-Habitat was indicated by the Parties as the project coordinator and the mediator among the RGP, the Donor and the community. A comprehensive project proposal was prepared and HBD and UN-Habitat signed in May 2017 a contribution agreement for the project implementation. The UNCT of Sao Tome and Principe is currently discussing how to engage other UN agencies to the process through a UN Joint Programme on Sustainable Development in Principe Island.
As the Mobilisation and Design Phases of the project have been concluded, there is need to carry out the ongoing Implementation Phase, which involves the actual construction works in the resettlement site and their supervision according to the final executive projects for the urbanisation plan and the architectural design of its buildings, while developing construction details for the works.
2. SCOPE OF WORK, RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESCRIPTION OF THE PROPOSED ANALYTICAL WORK
2. Objective of the Consultancy
The objective of this assignment is to provide, under the supervision of the Project Manager and the Construction Engineer & Manager, technical support and outputs for finalising the executive details for construction of the resettlement project, and to supervise and ensure the sound implementation of the construction works for the Sustainable Resettlement Project of the community of Roça Sundy in Principe Island with a main focus on infrastructure, according to schedule and helping managing construction teams.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities related to the Implementation Phase of the Project are outlined below:
- Support the Project Manager to identify key issues of project implementation for the elaboration of project surveys and the definition of monitoring frameworks/mechanisms;
- Support the Project Manager on planning, design, support, production and/or review of project outputs;
- Support the Project Manager and the Construction Engineer & Manager in updating the land survey and plans of the resettlement area, including topography, landform (ridges and thalwegs), sun path and wetland system;
- Support the Project Team in the elaboration of a portfolio of environmental-friendly solutions for infrastructure development and construction techniques to be applied during the resettlement process, through research, community consultation for cultural adequacy, cost-benefit and maintenance cost analysis;
- Support the Project Manager and the Construction Engineer & Manager in detailing and updating the final technical proposals for the urbanisation of the resettlement site and for public facilities and infrastructure, which observe the principles of sustainable urban development (plot width, public space, minimum density, etc.), including Bill of Quantities;
- Support the Project Manager and the Construction Engineer & Manager in detailing and updating the approved technical proposals and Bill of Quantities for the four typologies of incremental housing units, that are in line with the basic expectations of the community and are replicable, as well as the proposals for public facilities;
- Support the Project Manager, the Construction Engineer & Manager and other sectorial Experts, in the development of engineering projects and plans for infrastructure, including water supply, roads and sidewalks, sanitation works, drainage and energy, complete with Bill of Quantities;
- Support the implementation, in coordination with the Construction Engineer & Manager, of the community participation in construction works throughout the Implementation Phase, as well as in inclusive consultation workshops and discussions;
- Support the Project Manager and the Construction Engineer & Manager to quantify the works needed, identify materials (local and exports) and establish the timetable to carry out the procurement and construction processes, including facilities needed for storage and construction;
- Help the follow up of the procurement process and its logistics, including transport and storage of materials;
- Help to identify construction needs in what refers to human resources and timetable, including facilities needed for construction staff;
- Supervision of construction works following agreed construction timetable, including the supervision of the construction team made up primarily of Roça Sundy’s community members, in coordination with the Construction Engineer & Manager, ensuring the good execution of the works;
- Produce and provide all construction details required for the project, as they are identified during the execution of the Implementation Phase;
- Support the organisation and implementation of trainings related to construction activities;
- Contribute to the elaboration of a ‘User Manual’ aimed at community members for knowing, understanding and properly using and maintaining the urbanisation plan, infrastructure and housing units;
- Support the Project Team on the elaboration of the preparation of an integrated Capacity Development and Livelihood Strategy, mainstreaming this strategy during project implementation;
- Support the Project Manager and the Construction Engineer & Manager in the elaboration of Progress Reports and the Final Report for the Implementation Phase;
- Any other project tasks requested by the Project Manager;
- Provide eventual contributions, if demanded, to other initiatives appointed by the Project Manager.
4. Expected Outputs
Outputs will be the result of the work of the consultant and all Project team members, and include:
- Updated executive projects and details for the urbanisation and infrastructure of the resettlement area;
- Updated topography plans of the resettlement area incorporated to the technical proposals;
- Updated Bill of Quantities for all projects considered in the resettlement plan;
- The construction facilities plan, considering the construction phasing strategy;
- The procurement plan;
- The Carta Gantt for construction works;
- The ‘User Manual’ aimed at community members;
- Coordinated design and construction teams;
- Quality construction works;
- Progress reports for construction works;
- Inputs for the Final Report of the Implementation Phase;
- Inputs for the construction component of the Capacity Development and Livelihood Strategy.
5. Time Frame
The assignment will be carried out on a full-time basis, based in Príncipe Island, São Tomé and Príncipe, for 6 (six) months from the date of the signature of the contract. The consultant will be allowed 10 extra working days for the delivery of the demanded outputs unless otherwise agreed.
. REQUIREMENTS FOR EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION
- Architectural, construction and/or engineering experience is mandatory;
- Infrastructure development and implementation experience is an asset;
- Former NGO/field experience in construction works is an asset.
- Capacity to design and to model in CAD software;
- Capacity to be client oriented in a complex multi-stakeholder environment;
- Work in a flexible manner and often under pressure;
- Good teamwork;
- Excellent communication and writing skills and ability to communicate through design;
- Ability to prepare presentations and reports, with analytical insight;
- Proficiency in oral and written English;
- Fluency in oral and written Portuguese.
- Advanced degree in architecture, construction, engineering or equivalent;
- Courses related to Sustainable Infrastructure, Sustainable Housing and Sustainable Urban Development is an asset.
4. DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE PROPOSALS.
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
Recommended Presentation of Offer
- Completed Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided by UNDP;
- Personal CV indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate
- Brief description of approach to work/technical proposal of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment, and a proposed methodology on how they will approach and complete the assignment; Maximum 2 page.
- Financial Proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs, as per template provided. See Letter of Confirmation of Interest template for financial proposal template.
5. FINANCIAL PROPOSAL
• Financial proposals for the total duration of the contract must be on “'Monthly Fee Basis”.
• The project will cover expenses of air tickets to Principe island and return.
A master’s degree in in architecture, construction, engineering or equivalent
Sound knowledge and proven experience in architectural, construction and/or engineering
Proven working experience on infrastructure development and implementation
Former NGO/field experience in construction works
Interested candidates are expected to provide financial proposals for this consultancy.