|Overview : |
CAPACITY NEEDS ASSESSMENT AND CAPACITY BUILDING PROGRAMME FOR THE MINISTRY OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
The Ministry of Local Government with support from the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is on the road map to Strengthen Institutional Frame Work for the Ministry of Local Government with the view of improving service delivery to its stakeholders as mandated by the Constitution and the Local Government Act, (CAP 243). Key thematic areas selected under this programme include: the review of the National Local Government Capacity Building Policy and institutional Capacity Needs Assessment for the Ministry. The Decentralization Policy is one of the major policy reforms adopted by the Government to ensure good governance and improved service delivery. This policy is enshrined in the 1995 Constitution, and its basic structure is laid out in the Local Governments Act (CAP 243) which has transferred a range of powers, responsibilities and functions to Local Governments which include decision–making, raising and allocating resources, providing a range of services to the population and planning and budgeting for improved service delivery.
The mandate of the Ministry of Local Government therefore, under Decentralization Policy is enormous and involves guiding , harmonizing , mentoring and advocating for all Local Governments in support of the overall vision of Government to bring about socio–economic transformation of the Country.
The Ministry’s mission is to coordinate and support all Local Governments in a bid to provide efficient and sustainable services, improve the welfare of the people and eradicate poverty with a view of having democratic and accountable Local Governments capable of delivering efficient and sustainable services to the people, thereby contributing to socio-economic transformation of the country.
As it can be observed from the above, the Ministry of Local Government has a huge mandate and responsibility which requires a higher level of capacity not only in terms of skills and competencies, but also structural and policy initiatives to enable it fulfill its responsibilities.
The Ministry of Local Government therefore, with financial assistance from UNDP “Strengthening Institutional framework for service delivery project” would like to develop its capacity for the fulfilment of its mandate and vision as well as attainment of its strategic objectives and thus desires to recruit a consultant (s) to conduct a comprehensive institutional capacity needs assessment for the Ministry and develop a capacity development programme for the Ministry.
1.2 Rationale of the Assignment
The Ministry of Local Government has a key mandate to guide, harmonize, mentor and advocate for all Local Governments in support of the Government’s vision to bring about socio–economic transformation of the Country. Hence, the need to develop a robust programme to address key Capacity Building and staff development needs in the Ministry of Local Government. The current capacity is not adequate to meet the mandate of MoLG.
Therefore, the assignment is expected to carry out a comprehensive Capacity Needs Assessment of the Ministry with a view of identifying key capacity gaps and making recommendations for the capacity building response.
1.3 Assignment Objective
The overall objective of this assignment is to carry out a comprehensive capacity needs assessment for the Ministry of Local Government to identify Capacity Building Needs for the respective officers and positions.
1.4 Specific objectives
- Indentify performance challenges that hinder effective performance of the Ministry of Local Government (MoLG)
- Identify skills and competencies required for effective performance of MoLG;
- Highlight issues related to the relevant structure required for effective performance of MoLG;
- Identify capacity gaps at different levels in MoLG;
- Identify capacity gaps in MoLG that could hinder the implementation of the Strengthening Institutional Framework for Service Delivery Project;
- Identify priority areas for capacity enhancement;
- Take stock of what skills are available in the organization and compare with what the organization has to achieve;
- Identify defective systems in the management of the organization;
2.0 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
2.1 Scope of the Assignment
- The scope of this assignment is limited to the Ministry of Local Government as an Institution.
- The assignment shall be comprehensive and consultative.
- The consultation shall involve both internal and external clients. The assignment shall look at all critical areas and functions of the Ministry and identify gaps.
3.0 DELIVERABLES AND REPORTING ARRANGEMENTS
- An inception report detailing the work-plan, literature reviewed, stakeholders to be met, checklist and questionnaires, reports to be produced and show how the Consultant (s) intends to carry out the assignment within a week of signing the contract
- Workshop report;
- Five (5) copies of a Draft Capacity Needs Assessment Report and Capacity Building Programme within one (1) month;
- Five (5) copies of a Final Capacity Needs Assessment report and Capacity Building Programme within two (2) months hard and soft copies;
3.2 Reporting arrangements
The consultant will be reporting to the Permanent Secretary Ministry of Local Government through the Project Manager/ Strengthening Institutional Frameworks for Service Delivery.
Technical proposal and financial proposal( in separate sealed envelopes) clearly marked: “PROPOSAL FOR CAPACITY NEEDS ASSESSMENT AND CAPACITY BUILDING PROGRAMME FOR THE MINISTRY OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT, should reach the following address no later than 27th April 2012, on or before 12 noon:
The Resident Representative
Attention: Procurement Unit
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Plot 11 Yusuf Lule Road,
P.O Box 7184
Tel: 256 414112100