|Overview : |
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Strategic Communications Consultant
25th Nov 2020
Type of Contract
Duration of Contract:
40 days between, December 1, 2020 to February 28, 2021
Consultancy Proposal (CV & Financial proposal Template) should be uploaded on UNDP Jobshop website(https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_jobs.cfm?cur_rgn_id_c=RAS) no later than 25th Nov 2020 (Fiji Time) clearly stating the title of consultancy applied for. Any proposals received after this date/time will not be accepted. Any request for clarification must be sent in writing, or by standard electronic communication to firstname.lastname@example.org. UNDP will respond in writing or by standard electronic mail and will send written copies of the response, including an explanation of the query without identifying the source of inquiry, to all consultants. Incomplete, late and joint proposals will not be considered and only offers for which there is further interest will be contacted. Failure to submit your application as stated as per the application submission guide (Procurement Notice) on the above link will be considered incomplete and therefore application will not be considered.
Proposals must be sent through UNDP job shop web page. Candidates need to upload their CV and financial proposal -using UNDP template.
- Daily rate to be inclusive of Medical insurance cost for the duration of the contract
- Selected Candidate will be required to submit a proof of medical insurance prior to issuance of contract
If the selected/successful Candidate is over 65 years of age and required to travel outside his home country; He/She will be required provide a full medical report at their expense prior to issuance to contract. Contract will only be issued when Proposed candidate is deemed medically fit to undertake the assignment
The UN Resident Coordinator (RC) provides leadership to the Pacific Joint UN Country Team and the UN’s programming work, as outlined in the UN Pacific Strategy, in support of national priorities. The RC has a team composed of national and international staff, forming the Fiji RC Multi-Country Office (RCO), and is based in Suva, Fiji. The RCO Fiji oversees 10 Pacific Small Island Developing States (Pacific SIDS or PSIDS), namely Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Palau, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu. Twenty-six resident and non-resident UN entities are signatories to the UNPS and members of The Pacific Joint UN Country Team.
The RCO fulfils ten core coordination functions, namely strategic analysis and planning; oversight of the UN country programming cycle; representation of and support of UN Secretariat and UN agencies (incl. non-resident agencies); support to national coordination systems and processes; development and management of shared operational support services; crisis management preparedness and response; external communication and advocacy; human rights and development; joint resource mobilisation and fund management; and general UNCT oversight and coordination.
Strategic Communications Consultant will be based in the RCO Fiji and will work under the direct supervision of the Resident Coordinator and in close coordination with RCO Team Leader. The Communications Consultant works in close coordination with UN Communications Group and other stakeholders, internal and external clients.
SCOPE OF WORK AND DELIVERABLES
The Consultant is expected to support the following activities:
- With a focus on the implementation of sustainable development programmes in the Pacific, takes the lead in strategy, planning, development and implementation of large, complex communications strategies and campaigns with both traditional and social media components;
- Works UN Communications Group (UNCG), to develop and implement system-wide campaigns and to incorporate the campaign message and themes into all relevant events and products;
- Provides advice and expertise to the RC and the UN Country Team (UNCT) on a range of communications and public affairs issues, methods, and approaches; anticipates and resolves communications/public relations issues/problems, to include the provision of an effective crisis communications support;
- Supports the work of the UN Communications Group (UNCG) and development of the joint UNCG annual workplan including establishment of the communication performance indicators;
- Develops and coordinates strategic partnerships with key constituencies, including members of the UNCG, to elicit support for and maximize impact of promotional objectives;
- Develops of a diverse range of information and communications products in support of major campaign initiatives;
- Prepares official briefing materials, talking points, speeches, statements, op-eds and presentations as necessary.
- Drafts complex material for traditional and social media platforms, to include website, official social media accounts, newsletters, periodicals, reports and books, etc.;
- Evaluates results and impact of communications activities; reports on developments, trends and attitudes regarding the UN;
- In collaboration with the UNCG, and in coordination with the RCO colleagues supports results reporting and prepare the annual communication plan to publicize and communicate results with a focus on the UN’s development impact.
- Supports the day-to-day operation of the RCO including participating in coordination of substantive and administrative activities of the office related to communications and advocacy;
- Performs other related duties, as required.
- Monthly progress reports detailing achievements across key areas of work.
Consultant is expected to be based in Suva, Fiji during the duration of this assignment.
The Consultant will physically work from the United Nations Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO) and will report directly to the Resident Coordinator
Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments
Consultant must send a financial proposal based on Monthly Lump Sum Amount(number of working day per month x daily rate) . The daily rate quoted shall be all-inclusive and include all costs components required to perform the deliverables identified in the TOR, including professional fee ( Daily fees to include IC’s medical insurance costs),travel costs, living allowance (if any work is to be done outside the IC´s duty station) and any other applicable cost to be incurred by the IC in completing the assignment. The contract price will be fixed output-based price regardless of extension of the herein specified duration. Payments will be done on a monthly basis upon completion of the deliverables/outputs as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS FOR EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum university degree in communication, journalism, international relations, public information or related field.
Evaluation Method and Criteria:
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the cumulative analysis methodology.
The award of the contract shall be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated anddetermined as:
a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial
criteria specific to the solicitation: Technical Criteria 70% (as indicated above in Experience and
Qualifications section) and Financial Criteria 30%.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points (70% of the total technical points) would be
considered for the Financial Evaluation.
Technical Criteria – Maximum 70 points
- Criteria 1 - A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public information or related area is required - 25%
- Criteria 2 -Minimum university degree in communication, journalism, international relations, public information or related field-10%
- Criteria 3 - Two years of experience developing and implementing strategic, multimedia and public information campaigns for a diverse audience is required - 15%
- Criteria 4 - Two years of experience interacting with and managing relations with the media is required - 10%
- Criteria 5 - Excellent writing, planning, research, communication and reporting skills and demonstrated ability to perform well in a multi-cultural environment- 5%
- Criteria 6 - Fluency in English, excellent oral and written communication skills and outstanding interpersonal skills- 5%
DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE PROPOSALS.
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications in one single PDF document:
Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided by UNDP (Annex II).
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references.
Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment
A methodology, on how they will approach and complete the assignment.
Financial proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs, as per template provided (Annex II)
Consultancy Proposal (CV & Financial proposal Template) should be uploaded on UNDP Jobshop website (https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_jobs.cfm?cur_rgn_id_c=RAS) no later than 25th Nov 2020 (Fiji Time) clearly stating the title of consultancy applied for.
Note: Successful individual will be required to provide proof of medical insurance coverage before commencement of contract for the duration of the assignment.
Incomplete and joint proposals may not be considered. Consultants with whom there is further interest will be contacted.
Individuals applying for this consultancy will be reviewed based on their own individual capacity. The successful individual may sign an Individual Contract with UNDP or request his/her employer to sign a Reimbursable Loan Agreement (RLA) on their behalf by indicating this in the Offerors letter to Confirming Interest and Availability.
In general, UNDP shall not accept travel costs exceeding those of an economy class ticket. Should the IC wish to travel on a higher class he/she should do so using their own resources
In the event of unforeseeable travel not anticipated in this TOR, payment of travel costs including tickets, lodging and terminal expenses should be agreed upon, between the respective business unit and the Individual Consultant, prior to travel and will be reimbursed.
For any clarification regarding this assignment please write to email@example.com.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
The Fiji Office covers Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu