|Overview : Dear Bidder,
UNDP invites proposals from reputable companies/organizations with experience in the relevant to undertake a consultancy for the Development of the Botswana National Climate Change Policy and Comprehensive National Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan
Botswana is embarking on a process of developing a Climate Change Policy and Institutional Framework which will be supported by a Strategy and Action Plan to operationalize the Policy. This is a two-step process that first develops the policy followed by the strategy and action plan.
Climate change and climate variability already affect physical processes in Botswana, leading to changes in temperature, rainfall patterns, increased intensity and frequency of extreme weather events like droughts and floods. Furthermore, climate change is threatening a broad range of sectors, which include food production systems and therefore the livelihoods and food security of the Batswana. The country’s social and economic development objectives are at risk if climate change is not addressed. Botswana is a country of large geographical extent with different agro-ecological zones and different economic activities. These will be affected by climate change in different ways, while different economic sectors also have different contributions to greenhouse gas emissions. At the policy level, Botswana is committed to a sustainable development and resilient pathway, being signatory to global conventions such as the UNFCCC, CBD, Agenda 21 and others. Recently, Botswana has also been leading African initiatives on sustainability, such as the African Sustainability Summit of 2012, and has endorsed the Sustainable Energy for All (SE4ALL) initiative. In its pursuit of national development, the country emphasizes economic diversification, broadening the base for its development and poverty reduction efforts. Attainment of these goals and aspirations depend, among other things, on the country’s ability to respond adequately to the challenge of climate change, which will involve a wide range of players and sectors in the country.
Significant responses to climate change will be guided by a policy and action framework informed by climate change information, socio-economic and development trajectories, local experiences as well as existing policies, plans and institutional frameworks. In order to enhance investment that aims to reduce vulnerability and build the resilience of society and in line with the provisions of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and its implementing instrument – the Kyoto Protocol, the Government of Botswana is desirous of developing (1) a National Climate Change Policy (NCCP), and (2) a Comprehensive National Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan (NCCSAP) to implement the Policy.
The Government of Botswana with support from the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and other partners is urgently seeking for teams of consultants, firms or consortiums to undertake the task of developing the NCCP and the NCCSAP.
The main expected outputs are:
1. A National Climate Change Policy; and
2. A comprehensive National Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan to implement the Policy
3. Submission requirements:
Proposals should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly labeled “RFP for Development of the Botswana National Climate Change Policy and Comprehensive National Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan” NOT TO BE OPENED BY THE REGISTRY”.
The submission should be registered upon delivery at the following address:
The UNDP Resident Representative
United Nations Building
1st Floor Reception
Cnr Khama Crescent and President’s Drive
P. O. Box 54
Or by email to email@example.com , the e-mail subject should read: “RFP for Development of the Botswana National Climate Change Policy and Comprehensive National Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan” NOT TO BE OPENED BY THE REGISTRY”.
Requirements For Experience And Qualifications
• 10 years demonstrable experience in formulating strategies, plans and policy documents in climate change-related fields and or mainstreaming cross-cutting issues into national plans and strategies;
• Demonstrable understanding of climate change adaptation, mitigation and low carbon development issues in the context of developing countries, as well as the current global scientific and policy discourse such as the IPCC and UNFCCC;
• Broad general background in participatory methods and their relevance to climate change;
• A good understanding of the impacts of climate change in the Southern Africa region, and in particular in Botswana.
• Excellent project administration and management skills;
1. Detailed Terms of Reference and instructions to bidders should be obtained from: firstname.lastname@example.org OR from above quoted address (1st Floor Reception Desk).
2. Submission Deadline: 10 December 2012 at 16:30pm (Botswana Time).
3. Requests for Clarification: Requests for clarification shall be writing through fax number (+267 3956093) or by email to email@example.com
NOTE: Consultancy firms/companies should submit CVs of 1 Team Leader and up to four core technical personnel who will be directly involved in the consultancy and present their bids in a manner that allows for evaluation of the bid in accordance with the evaluation criteria specified in these solicitation documents.|