|Overview : |
UNDP Sustainable Transport Project and UN HABITAT Egypt have joined forces to achieve a common goal : promoting sustainable transport tools in Egypt.
UNDP’s Sustainable Transport Project for Egypt (STP) has implemented a modern infrastructure for non-motorized transport (NMT) in two middle size cities, Fayoum and Shebin El-Kom. It has also undertaken a comprehensive review of conditions in the two cities to determine the potential for a bike share program in partnership with the Fayoum and Monofeya Universities. The proposed small scale system will be operated on two campuses and link the campuses with the main entry points for the students to the two cities.
“Bike Sharing: Innovative Mobility for All” is a UN Habitat project that aims to improve access to opportunities to Cairo residents by introducing a bike sharing pilot as a mobility tool to transcend some barriers often faced by youth. The project aims to pilot bike sharing program of approximately 300 bikes in downtown Cairo.
Brief Description of the Required Services:
This two key components a service required for this RFP
- UNDP/STP: Reviewing a feasibility study and design for Bike Sharing scheme in the two cities of Fayoum and Shebin El-Kom. This component aims to review the feasibility study and proposed design, identify challenges and opportunities and propose alternative solutions, as needed.
- UN HABITAT COMPONENT: CONDUCTING A BIKE SHARING FEASIBILITY STUDY FOR CAIRO. This component aims to assess the feasibility of a bike sharing program in Cairo and specifically lay out the road to achieving a successful pilot
List and Description of Expected Outputs to be Delivered:
REVIEWING FEASIBILITY STUDY AND DESIGN FOR PROPOSED BIKE SHARING SYSTEM IN SHEBIN-EL KOM AND FAYOUM CITIES:
Review proposed design of a bike share scheme based on the preliminary feasibility study conducted by the local consultants and the information gathered from the community, including students input and significant data analysis.
Deliverables: A Comprehensive Report evaluating the two proposed design of the pilot bike sharing scheme and covering all of the below components and outputs:
- Conduct one day field visits to Shebin El-Kom and Fayoum Cities, and meetings with local partners;
- Review the feasibility study conducted by the local consultants (proposed coverage area, station sites, demand, system, ….etc);
- Review the proposed design for bike sharing scheme in the two cities, and suggest the required modification concerning the following:
- the technicality of the proposed bike sharing System(number and type of stations, bikes per station, type of bikes , technology …etc); and
- the suitability of the designed system for the local situation, and verify that the design has addressed the following issues: security, low credit card penetration, few successful experiences with automated or mechanized technologies for public use, high temperatures during summer months.
- Identify possible barriers to implementation and propose mitigation measures;
- Provide a financial feasibility analysis;
- Estimate operational cost based on the size of the system;
- Propose financing option to identify the most appropriate combination of user generated revenues and identify possible range and schemes of ticket prices;
- Analyze estimated costs against financing options to ensure that proposal is financially feasible;
- Recommend a business model that establishes an organizational structure and contracting model;
- Provide phased scenario for growth of bike sharing pilot;
- Provide five year estimate of demand, revenue and funding needs;
- Recommend steps required by specific company to achieve readiness to operate bike sharing system; and
- Recommend means of sustainability.
CONDUCTING A BIKE SHARING FEASIBILITY STUDY FOR CAIRO:
Deliverable: Comprehensive Report covering all of the below components and outputs
1- Rapid Survey of three key areas
- Establish criteria for determining location of bike share pilot with local partners
- Conduct necessary field visits and meetings with local partners
- Conduct rapid analysis based on criteria set and recommend one key area for further study
Output 1: Weighted criteria list for determining location and summary of analysis of 3 surveyed areas
2- Demand analysis for key area identified
- Define the proposed coverage area
- Define targets for key performance metrics
- Create a demand profile
- Create estimations of demand with at least two different uptake scenarios
- Size the system by defining station density and bikes per station
Output 2: Demand profile for users and report on demand estimates and appropriate size of system
- Propose options for station type, bicycles, and technology to create a capital cost estimate
- Propose and recommend station sites
- Identify and provide recommendations for creating a “localized solution” for bike sharing addressing the following issues: theft, low credit card penetration, few successful experiences with automated or mechanized technologies for public use, high temperatures during summer months and potential harassment of women on bicycles
- Lead several meetings with various stakeholders to introduce bike sharing concept, spread awareness, and engage relevant parties
Output 3: GIS maps with stations types and station sites, recommendation report for the above
4- High level financial feasibility analysis
- Estimate operational cost based on the size of the system.
- Propose financing option to identify the most appropriate combination of user generated revenues and identify possible range and schemes of ticket prices
- Analyze estimated costs against financing options to ensure that proposal is financially feasible
- Recommend a business model that establishes an organizational structure and contracting model
- Provide phased scenario for growth of bike sharing pilot
- Provide five year estimate of demand, revenue and funding needs
- Evaluate business readiness and operational capacity of potential local operators (identified by UN Habitat)
- Recommend local operator and/or steps required by specific companies to achieve readiness to operate bike sharing system
Output 4: High level financial feasibility analysis covering all of the above
5) Analysis of risk and barriers
- Review possible barriers to implementation and propose mitigation measures.
- Identify risks to project implementation, and propose mitigation measures
Output 5: Analysis of risks and barriers
Propose detailed timeline for getting to operations: identifying roles and responsibilities for each step, minimum to maximum time frames, etc
Output 6: Detailed Timeline
7) Bicycle Lanes
Provide basic map of high, medium, and low priority bike lanes for identified area taking into account feasibility of lanes
Output 7: Map of bicycle lanes at different priority levels
8) Economic and Job Creation Benefits
- Propose strategies for how bike share program can be job creator and especially for youth
- Estimate possible number of jobs to be created from the system (direct and indirect)
Provide recommendation on one day tourist pass, and whether system can offer this product or not