|Overview : |
PELASE NOTE THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS EXTENDED UNTIL 16 DECEMBER 2018
Title of the assignment: Executive Director of the Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund Secretariat
Project name: Engagement Facility to support the Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund initiative
Period of assignment: Twelve Months with Possibility of Extension
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) hereby invites Individual Consultants to submit a Proposal to the consultant Recruitment of an Executive Director of the Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund Secretariat.
Ethiopia has been implementing Diaspora engagement policies and establishing government institutions to engage the Diaspora over the past decade. Large numbers of Ethiopians or foreign citizens of Ethiopian origin are estimated to be residing abroad. According to estimates from UNDESA (2017), the top five host countries for Ethiopians and foreign citizens of Ethiopian origin are the USA; the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia; the European Union; Israel; and Sudan. In 2017, the Ethiopia diaspora provided the country with remittances amounting to one per cent of the country’s GDP, USD816million (World Bank, 2017). Through various fora, the Prime Minister of Ethiopia has appealed for support to government initiatives aimed at harnessing the contribution of highly qualified Ethiopian diaspora to Ethiopia’s economic and social development. The Government has recently established a Diaspora Council under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with mandate to devise and operationalize diaspora engagement policies.
Following the Prime Minister’s call to the global Ethiopian Diaspora to contribute to an Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund (hereinafter “EDTF”), the EDTF Advisory Council appointed by the Prime Minister established and lunched the EDTF (ethiopiatrustfund.org). The EDTF is intended to gather financial contributions from the Ethiopian Diaspora, Ethiopians willing to support the EDTF and Friends of Ethiopia and channel them back to Ethiopia to finance people-focused social and economic development projects aligned with the reform process. The Fund aims to finance projects that meet critical needs selected based on their potential to make the highest positive impact on groups and communities in Ethiopia in such areas as health, education, water and sanitation facilities, habilitation and rehabilitation of persons with disability, agricultural development, technology, small scale entrepreneurship and other income and employment generating projects. The EDTF will give priority attention to projects focusing on youth, women, small holder farmers, small enterprises and entrepreneurs, who can be agents of inclusive social and economic development.
A 15 members EDTF Advisory Council is appointed by the Prime Minister with a global mandate. The EDTF will have the Board of Directors, which is the apex governance body. It will comprise of eleven persons appointed by the Prime Minister, who will be drawn from the Ethiopian government, Ethiopian Diaspora who are recommended by the Advisory Council and Civil Society.
The EDTF Secretariat will be headed by an Executive Director appointed by the Board of Directors (hereinafter “the Board”) . The Secretariat at its full establishment will include Deputy Executive Director, Planning & Programme Design, Procurement, Monitoring & Evaluation and Communication. UNDP has been requested by the Government of Ethiopia to assist in the establishment of the EDTF Secretariat and would like to recruit national Executive Director of the Secretariat of the EDTF.
The purpose of the proposed technical and financial assistance is to 1) spearhead the establishment of the Secretariat of the EDTF, which is a key organ that will support the decision making of the EDTF Board and ensure the transparent, accountable, efficient and effective operation of the EDTF Secretariat including its overall project/programme selection, project/programme implementation, project/programme monitoring and evaluation to achieve results that create positive developmental impact to Ethiopia; and 2) accelerate starting the EDTF Secretariat operations while the EDTF finds ways to financially sustain the Secretariat from the second year onwards.
3.Area of Work
The Executive Director is responsible for all aspects of the EDTF Secretariat functions including the following areas of work.
Achievement of the EDTF Objectives:
- Ensure the EDTF’s primary objective of utilizing the mobilized funds to finance people-focused social and economic development projects are achieved with effectiveness.
- Ensure the EDTF financed portfolio, while being demand-led, comprise projects that meet critical needs selected based on their potential to make the highest positive impact on disadvantaged groups and communities and are to the extent possible balanced in their sectoral/thematic and geographic coverage.
Establishment of the Secretariat for the Ethiopian Diaspora Trust Fund:
- Organize a grant-making mechanism for the EDTF to achieve the results laid out by the Board.
- Oversee the preparation and maintenance of the EDTF policies and procedures for approval by the Board detailing project submission procedures, formats, report submissions, Implementation Organization (Government and public organizations, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and the Private Sector) management, Implementation Organization capacity assessment, audit of the EDTF Administrative Bank Account etc. which provides necessary information to supervise, control and monitor EDTF Secretariat operations that ensures transparency, accountability, efficiency and effectiveness of the EDTF to achieve results that create positive developmental impact to the assisted disadvantaged groups /communities.
- Consult and agree with the Board how to financially sustain the Secretariat from the second year onwards.
- Under the overall direction of the Board, be responsible for the proper operation of the EDTF in accordance with the objectives detailed in the EDTF Terms of Reference and the EDTF policies and procedures.
Management of the Secretariat:
- Exercise the powers and duties of the Secretariat provided for in the EDTF Terms of Reference.
- Ensure the Secretariat provides administrative, technical and management support to the Board.
- Oversee the preparation of consolidated quarterly and annual EDTF progress reports based on reports received from Implementation Organizations for the Board submission.
- Ensure the EDTF Communication and Stakeholders’ Management Strategy is formulated and implemented to ensure clear understanding about the EDTF objectives and operations by EDTF internal and external stakeholders, in particular, the public at large, EDTF Implementing Organizations and EDTF contributors.
- Ensure timely summary postings of project information (project pipelines, approved projects, progress and evaluations reports, etc.) on the EDTF website.
- Ensure the Secretariat smoothly liaises with all relevant government and non-government stakeholders, including the EDTF Advisory Council and EDTF Contributors that can contribute to the achievement of the EDTF objectives.
- Employ and administer employees of the Secretariat in accordance with the budget approved by the Board and relevant national laws.
- Disburse the EDTF administrative expenditure in accordance with the budget approved for the Secretariat.
- Open and manage an EDTF Administrative Bank Account that will hold, separate from the EDTF Bank Account, funds contributed to the EDTF to meet its administrative, overhead and related expenses.
- Submit quarterly and annually to the Board the receipt and use of the funds in the EDTF Administrative Bank Account.
- Ensure Board approved EDTF allocations are disbursed to eligible Implementing Organizations as defined in the relevant policies and procedures of the EDTF Secretariat.
- Oversees to ensure books are kept on disbursement to Implementation Organizations from the EDTF CBE Bank Account.
- Ensure audit of the EDTF Administrative Bank Account.
- Delegate his/her authority to employees of the Secretariat as necessary for the efficient performance of the EDTF Secretariat’s activities.
Coordination with Implementing Organizations:
- Establish relevant policies and procedures to undertake objective and consistent capacity assessment of Implementing Organizations, undertake capacity assessment of Implementing Organizations and provide them support in proposal submissions.
- Oversee the preparation of “Guidance Notes” to eligible Implementing Organizations on projects preparation, implementation, monitoring and reporting.
- Ensure the Secretariat monitors agreed procurement, recruitment and implementation practices of Implementing Organizations.
- Any other duties the Board deems necessary for the EDTF.
Institutional Arrangement / Reporting Relationships
- The Executive Director will be responsible for establishing the Secretariat policies and procedures that will be submitted for approval by the Board, that will provide necessary information to supervise, control and monitor the EDTF operations that ensures transparency, accountability and efficiency of the EDTF.
- The Executive Director, as team leader of the Secretariat, will actively promote close collaboration among the staff of the Secretariat by identifying the EDTF Secretariat tasks that require teamwork and collaboration.
Qualifications / Experiences of the Consultants
Education and Experiences:
- This position is open for both Ethiopian nationals and Ethiopian Diaspora only.
- Masters university degree in social sciences, business or development related studies.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience at the national or international level in managing and/or providing services for the design of large-scale programmes and/or projects with results-based management, finance and operations in socio-economic development field.
- Proven experience in people management.
- Experiences with operations of charitable or NGO activities especially in socio-economic development field will be an asset.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English and Amharic is essential. Knowledge of other Ethiopian languages is an asset.
- Capacity to impart knowledge and carry out successful outreach.
- Ability to evaluate project proposals and reports and financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner.
- Ability to identify and prioritize opportunities and risks and organizes actions to take advantage of opportunities and mitigate risks.
- Ability to multi-task effectively, including having excellent planning and organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, precise and structured way and present ideas and issues effectively.
- Ability to work closely and establish positive relationships with international, national, regional and local structure and to engage with various stakeholders.
- Awareness of and sensitive to working in multiple socio-economic settings and with multi-cultural groups.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and think creatively.
- Energetic and positive attitude with strong interpersonal and intrapersonal skills.
- Flexibility and team approach to programmatic work.
We look for a person who:
- Actively articulates and advocates the objectives and mission of the EDTF.
- Engages with the EDTF Stakeholders, eligible Implementing Organizations and other to ensure receipt of project proposals that meet the EDTF objectives and ensure successful implementation of the EDTF funded projects.
- Works with national, regional, sub-regional and local structures to foster knowledge of the EDTF’s objectives that will lead to submission of quality project proposals for the EDTF funding.
- Ensures the proper capacity assessment of eligible Implementing Organizations and provide them support in proposal submissions.
- Confirms agreed procurement, recruitment and implementation, practices of Implementing Organizations are monitored.
- Ensures the preparation of Consolidated Quarterly and Annual EDTF Progress Reports based on reports received from Implementation Organizations for submission to the Board.
Detailed Terms of Reference (ToR) as well as other requirements are listed in the IC available on UNDP ATLAS e-Tendering system” https://etendering.partneragencies.org UNDP/ETH10/Event ID: 0000003125 .
Your offer, comprising of a Brief Technical Proposal and Financial offer, should be submitted in accordance with IC requirements, through UNDP ATLAS e-Tendering system and by the deadline indicated in https://etendering.partneragencies.org
In the course of preparing and submitting your Proposal, it shall remain your responsibility to ensure that it is submitted into the system by the deadline. The system will automatically block and not accept any bid after the deadline. In case of any discrepancies deadline indicated in the system shall prevail.
Kindly ensure that supporting documents required are in the .pdf format, and free from any virus or corrupted files and Quotations. NOTE! The File name should contain only Latin characters (No Cyrillic or other alphabets).
You are kindly requested to indicate whether you intended to submit a Proposal by clicking on “Accept Invitation” button no later than 27 November 2018. If that is not the case, UNDP would appreciate your indicating the reason, for our records.
If you have not registered in the system before, you can register now by logging in using
The step by step instructions for registration of bidders and quotation submission through the UNDP ATLAS e-Tendering system is available in the “Instructions Manual for the Bidders”, attached. Should you require any training on the UNDP ATLAS e-Tendering system or face with any difficulties when registering your company or submitting your quotation, please send an email: email@example.com cc: Mekdelawit.firstname.lastname@example.org
For any technical problem in the system you can contact out technical team at email@example.com and cc: Mekdelawit.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that ATLAS has following minimum requirements for password:
1. Minimum length of 8 characters.
2. At least on capital letter.
3. At least one number.
New bidder registering for first time, system will not accept any password that does not meet the above requirements and thus registration cannot be completed.
For already existing bidders whose current password does not meet the criteria, when signing in, system will prompt you to change the password, and it will not accept a new password that does not meet requirement.
Online video guidelines available on the following link: http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/operations/procurement/business/procurement-notices/resources/
The bidders are advised to use Internet Explorer (Version 10 or above) to avoid any compatibility issues with the e-tendering system.