|Overview : |
Terms of Reference (TOR)
DREAMS NATIONAL RE POLICY ADVISOR - Individual Contract (IC)
Development of Renewable Energy Applications for
Market Mainstreaming and Sustainability (DREAMS
A. Project Title : National RE -Advisor (DREAMS)
B. Project Description
i. Goal: “reduce GHG emissions from the power sector, The objective is to promote and facilitate the commercialization of the renewable energy (RE) markets through the removal of barriers to increase investments in RE based power generation project.”
ii. Outcome indicators: “Direct emissions reductions will be 205,181 tonnes of CO2eq hand. 20,000 sitio-based households will have access to RE sources.
iii. Components and Expected outcomes:
DREAMS has 4 components.
a. RE Policy and Planning
enforcement of a supportive policy and regulatory environment = increase in RE investments
b. Institutional strengthening for RE mainstreaming
strengthened institutional capacity= increase in RE project approvals
c. Capitalized RE market development
increased number of operational RE projects = increase in confidence of RE developers on viability of RE
d. RE commercialization
capitalized RE markets = increase in RE based power capacity
iv. Stakeholders for the project.
The project is being implemented by the Department of Energy (DOE). DOE assumes over-all responsibility for the achievement of project results. The Project is co-financed with funding from the GEF. UNDP acts as the GEF Executing Agency. All components of the Project is being implemented by the Renewable Energy Management Bureau (REMB).
A Project Support Group (PSG) composed of technical staff/specialist from the other Bureaus and divisions of DOE has been formed to provide technical advice in the implementation of the activities including monitoring and evaluation. A Project Steering Committee has been established to serve as a policy and decision making body for the project implementation.
A Project Management Unit (PMU) is based at the DOE Compound. The PMU is headed by a National Project Director (NPD) who is also the Director of the REMB. A Project Manager and support staff oversees the day to day operations of the DREAMS Project Management Office. The PMO is located at the office of the DOE in Taguig, MetroManila.
C. Scope of Work
The IC will contribute his/her expertise to help ensure that the different activities under the project will contribute to the implementation of the Renewable Energy Act (RA 9513) in general and the attainment of the stated outcomes of the DREAMS project in particular. He/She will serve as a key resource person in the following undertakings:
- Conduct thorough evaluation of proposed and existing Department Circulars (DC), Department Orders (DO) and other policies, plans and programs that will lead to the accelerated development, transformation, utilization and commercialization of RE resources
- Conduct researches/case studies on special topics/issues, e.g. economics of emerging RE technologies and RE business models, RE trends
- Coordinate activities that will support the mandated functions of REMB as they relate to the implementation of the RE Law and within the purview of the DREAMS Project Results Framework. In cases when, specialized experts are contracted for an activity, the IC will take active role in the review and coordination as directed by the NPD or PMU Manager.
- Lead the finalization of the updated National Renewable Energy Program 2018-2040 (NREP) and the preparation of new rules and regulations for streamlined implementation of the NREP.
- Review and recommend on the terms of reference and/or results of studies that will be subcontracted such as :
- RE Manufacturing Industry Study to develop a strategy to improve the local manufacturing industry for RE
- Assessment of selected provisions, guidelines or regulations under RA 9513 like NEDA’s suggestion to financial/fiscal incentives related to RA9513; assist in the preparation of documents on the public consultation on the net metering policy.
- Mechanisms and guidelines on DREAMS Project Preparatory Fund (PPF)
A detailed work plan, to be divided into four (4) phases will be prepared for each deliverable. Annex A is the DREAMS project results framework that will guide the conduct of these activities.
D. Expected Outputs and Deliverables
The level of effort is 60 working days spread over four (4) months starting 01 April 2019 to 30 July 2019.
Estimated Duration to Complete
Target Due Dates
Review and Approvals Required
Name and Email address of designated person who will review and accept the output
detailed work plan to be divided into 4 Phases
within 2 days after meeting with the NPD
National Project Director
Mylene C. Capongcol, National Project Director
Completion of Reports under Phase 1 focusing on NREP
within 20 days upon approval of work plan
Completion of Reports under Phase 2 focusing on RA 9513 IRR
within 20 days after Phase 1
Completion of Reports under Phase 3 focusing on Project Fund
within 20 days after Phase 2
Completion of Reports under Phase 4 focusing on RA9513
within 15 days after Phase 3
Consolidated Report vis a vis DREAMS Project Components
within 10 days after completion of all Phases
NREP, other DCs
E. Institutional Arrangement
The work of the IC will be supervised by the National Project Director. The PMU will provide a working space to the IC during the meetings with concerned units of DOE.
The PMU will facilitate linkage to the potential key informants within and outside of DOE. However, the gathering and consolidation of data for the study, within or outside of DOE, shall be the responsibility of the IC.
F. Duration of the Work
The IC will work will be apportioned over a period 60 days upon signing of contract. The actual schedule of the IC will be based on an approved work plan.
G. Duty Station
The IC will be based in Manila. There will be occasional travels to attend forum, workshops or field visits of existing projects. He/She may be provided a small working space during visits or prolonged consultation subject to availability of space.
H. Qualifications of the Successful Individual Contractor
Points Obtainable (100 points)
Minimum: Completed post graduate studies in any of the following field: development management, business management, environmental science, economics, public management, including graduates of law and relevant engineering courses. For the latter courses, preference will be given those that passed licensure examinations.
Experience (to be validated based on CV and on samples of published work or reports)
- minimum 10 years of continuous experience in providing advise, conducting technical/feasibility studies, evaluating projects or serving as consultant in the energy sector, either in private or government sector in the Philippines
- with evidence of published works and reports.
- special skills: experience working with international organizations, team of experts and providing training to management or executive levels in organizations
- Area/s of specialization: energy policy and economics, development finance, public fiscal management and IT technologies as they apply to the energy sector
Language (excellent fluency in spoken and written english)
I. Scope of Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments
This is a lump sum/all-inclusive approach. However, duty travels outside of MetroManila that may be required (cost of transport, meals and accommodation) will be covered by the PMU subject to the approval of the NPD. In such travels, no per-diem will be provided to the IC.
Approved work plan*
status report 1 including submission of outputs as per work plan
status report 2 including submission of outputs as per work plan
status report 3 including submission of outputs as per work plan
status report 4 including submission of outputs as per work plan
Final Report and Recommendations on accomplishments
- the specific assignments will be outlined by the National Project Director during the preparation of the work plan
J. Recommended Presentation of Offer
The IC must submit the following:
- Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided by UNDP;
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references;
- Submission of recent (not more than 5 years old) published works or papers written or presented in public forum on the energy sector (at least 2). The full report or paper, not the powerpoint presentation, should be sent separately (pdf file). The information must be presented as follows:
Title of Paper/
name of publication/event or Conference where paper was presented
if part of group; please indicate co-authors or presentors
Financial Proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs, as per template provided (fill in only those that are applicable).
meals and lodging
K. Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer
The IC will be selected based on the following
- Qualifications = 70%
- Financial = 30%
The following documents may be requested:
- Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability (Financial Proposal Template) - indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs, as per template provided by UNDP;
- Personal Curriculum Vitae, indicating all past experiences from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephonenumber) of the candidate and at least three (3) professional references;
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment, and a methodology, if applicable, on how they will approach and complete the assignment.
Application requirements should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com on or before 30 March 2019.
Attachments in this link:
- P11 Personal History Template
- Terms of Reference
- Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability (Financial Proposal Template)
- General Terma and Condition for Indiviual Contractors
In view of the volume of applications UNDP receives, only shortlisted offerors will be notified.