|Overview : |
Project - 0011524 - Engagement Facility for Innovation Mauritius
International Consultant for the Elaboration of a Feasibility Study and Strategy for the establishment of the United Nations Technology Innovation Lab (UNTIL) Mauritius
The Government of Mauritius is exploring to partner in establishing a UN Technology Lab (UNITIL) with the UN Secretariat Office of Information and Communication Technology (OICT) (www.until.un.org) to invent, incubate and accelerate technology-based products and services that address key identified thematic areas: SDG 14 – Life Below Water, SDG 13 – Climate Action, SDG 4 – Quality Education, SDG 10 – Reduced Inequalities.
UNTIL Mauritius will create a platform for collaborative problem solving in partnership with UN and its agencies, the Government of Mauritius, Private Sector, Academia and Civil Society. It will provide support in four different dimensions:
1. Improving the enabling environment (e.g. better policy and regulatory space for innovation);
2. Developing skills (innovation methods, learning behaviors, outcome-focus, action-orientation, technology innovation), including understanding what makes local solutions work and reverse engineering them into different contexts to ensure scale and spread;
3. Design, development of proto types, testing and market application of digital solutions
4. Improving internationalization for Mauritius-designed digital solutions
5. Recommendations on public-private partnerships in making UNTIL Lab financially autonomous in the medium and long-run
The UNTIL Lab in Mauritius will be integral part of the global UNTIL network that is operational in Finland, Egypt, India and Malaysia with several additional countries like Germany, Rwanda and Thailand expected to become operational in 2019-2020.
UNTIL also expects to share knowledge and concrete software solutions with other African countries through South-South Cooperation and make Mauritius as a landing pad and platform for Africa in technologically connecting with Asia, Australasia and Europe through the global UNTIL network.
UNDP Office in Mauritius is therefore seeking the services of (1) International Consultant for the Elaboration of a Feasibility Study and Strategy for the establishment of the United Nations Technology Innovation Lab (UNTIL) Mauritius.
Key results expected include:
- Completion of a detailed feasibility study on UNTIL Mauritius potential deliverables
- Establishment of a strategy for a 3 years operations horizon ready to be endorsed by the UNTIL Mauritius Advisory Panel
- Initiation of the administrative operationalization of the UNTIL Mauritius lab
- Recommendations on public-private partnerships in making UNTIL Lab financially autonomous in the medium and long-run
Duration of the work
The Consultant will be engaged under an Individual contract (IC), and the whole assignment will be for not more than 40 days worked (30 days in-country mission and 10 days home-based).
The assignment will be from 30 August 2019 and 15 December 2019
Applications should be sent through emaill : email@example.com on or before 19 August 2019, Monday- Midnight, New York time (GMT+4 Mauritius time)
Annex A - Letter of confirmation of interest and availability and Submission of financial proposal
Annex B - Model Contact IC
Annex C - UNDP GCC IC
Annex D - P11
Terms of Reference