|Introduction : |
Design, Develop and Deployment of a Complain Reporting and Management System for Illegal Environmental Activities in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka has faced a spate of environmental issues in recent years. Research suggests that the country’s forest cover reduced by 4.8% between 2001-2020 (Global Forest Watch, 2021) and natural forest cover fell from 60% in 2000 to 54% in 2010. Against this backdrop, research indicates that illegal deforestation and wildlife poaching is prevalent and has increased during the COVID-19 pandemic (Centre for Environmental Justice (CEJ), 2021), leading to serious environmental implications .
To this end, and in response to increased community involvement and engagement in the face of rising incidences of illicit deforestation, degradation of wetlands, and illegal wildlife poaching and trade, UNDP Sri Lanka, in collaboration with the Ministry of Wildlife and Forest Conservation, Forest Department, Department of Wildlife Conservation and other relevant government institutions, the Centre for Environmental Justice (CEJ) and the Citra Social Innovation Lab, is in the process of developing a digital citizen engagement platform, which aims to connect citizens wishing to report unsanctioned environmental activities to government officials.
OBJECTIVE AND SCOPE OF INTERVENTION
The key objective of the assignment is to facilitate the development of a software system to enable the general public to log complaints against incidents of illegal environmental activities through multi-faceted technological media directly to the most relevant legal authorities to take preventive, protective and legal actions for the conservation of the wildlife, forestry, and environmental resources. Further, the system should provide the necessary facilities to allow for incident progress monitoring and reporting for key stakeholders. The intended system should be able to satisfy the following key top-level objectives:
• To enable the public to perform complaints against illegal wildlife, forestry and environmental activities through the application system using common, multiple, and hybrid communication media directly to the relevant government or semi-government authorities.
• To bring multiple environmental protection institutions under a one network of communication and complaint management.
• To facilitate each institution under the system to manage the procedural workflow of investigations triggered through a complaint directed to them and report the status of the investigation with greater accountability with respect to their responsibility.
• To provide divisional, institutional, and national-level dashboards for illegal wildlife, forestry, and environmental incident monitoring, reporting and decision mechanisms, based on the management hierarchies of the relevant government organisations.
• To provide one 1-day training workshop to facilitate the skill enhancement of 3 officials per institutions given below to deliver efficient and effective reactions against illegal environmental activities using the digital platform.
• To enable the joining of other related environmental protection institutions into the complaint management system in due course and accommodate all national institutions under one umbrella effort against illegal environmental activities
Please refer to the TOR for details.
Please indicate whether you intend to submit a bid by creating a draft response without submitting directly in the system. This will enable the system to send notifications in case of amendments of the tender requirements. Should you require further clarifications, kindly communicate using the messaging functionality in the system. Offers must be submitted directly in the system following this link: http://supplier.quantum.partneragencies.org using the profile you may have in the portal. In case you have never registered before, you can register a profile using the registration link shared via the procurement notice and following the instructions in guides available in UNDP website: https://www.undp.org/procurement/business/resources-for-bidders. Do not create a new profile if you already have one. Use the forgotten password feature in case you do not remember the password or the username from previous registration.
Search for the specific tender using search filters and subscribe to the tender in order to get notifications in case of amendments of the tender document. If you need support with the online system, you can contact the contact details of this tender as indicated in the solicitation document.
UNDP Sri Lanka