|Overview : |
Upon taking office in February 2017, the government emphasized the need to restore democracy, good governance and respect for human rights and the rule of law in the country resulting from the twenty-two year rule of former President Yahya Jammeh, characterized, by grave human rights violations. Following a request from the Gambian Government, and after consultations between officials of the United Nations and officials of the Ministry of Justice, project No. 00105687 “Support the capacity of the Government and national stakeholders to establish credible transitional justice processes and mechanism that promote reconciliation and sustainable peace in The Gambia” was executed in May 2017. With funding from the UN Peace Building Fund the Transitional Justice and Human Rights Project Management Unit is implementing the Project under the supervision of OHCHR and UNDP.
As part of its outcomes, the Project aims to strengthen human rights institutional framework and the capacity of non-governmental organizations ensuring increased respect for human rights in The Gambia. The support seeks to provide catalytic support in the form of institutional and technical capacity building to operationalize key institutions established to help the country begin to build a strong culture of respect for human rights in The Gambia. Under this, technical assistance is being provided to the National Assembly Standing Committee on Human Rights and Constitutional Matters to enable the Committee implement its mandate effectively.
- Advanced University Degree (minimum Master’s Degree in Law, Human Rights, International Development, Social Sciences or other related fields).
- Five years of experience in policy development or programme management, design and implementation.
- At least five years of experience in planning, design, preparation and implementation of development programmes.
- Experience with UN Agencies and/or strong understanding of UN system, frameworks and structures, particularly in programming.
- Prior experience of developing strategic document would be an advantage.
- Knowledge on the functions and procedures of the legislative would be beneficial.
Bids to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the deadline with a subject title of "NATIONAL CONSULTANT FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A STRATEGY DOCUMENT FOR THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY STANDING COMMITTEE ON HUMAN RIGHTS AND CONSTITUTIONAL MATTERS'