|Overview : |
PROJECT # 96201 GEF-funded UNDP-supported ‘Mainstreaming Biodiversity into the Management of the Coastal Zone in the Republic of Mauritius
National Consultant for Communications Consultant to implement the communication strategy and action plan of the project
The project aims at mainstreaming the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity and ecosystem services into coastal zone management (CZM) and into the operations and policies of the tourism and physical development sectors through a ‘land- and seascape wide’ integrated management approach based on the Environmental Sensitive Areas’ (ESAs) inventory and assessment. The project will achieve this through a three-pronged approach: (1) support the incorporation of ESA recommendations into policies and enforceable regulations pertaining to integrated coastal zone management (ICZM), thereby mitigating threats to biodiversity and ecosystem functions and resilience with a special focus on tourism and physical development in the coastal zone; (2) support the effective management of marine protected areas (MPAs) across the RM, given that they contain an important proportion of critically sensitive ESAs; and (3) demonstrate mechanisms to arrest land degradation in sensitive locations, focusing on reducing coastal erosion and sedimentation and helping to restore ecosystem functions in key wetland areas.
SCOPE OF WORK
The overall objective of the assignment is to assist the Ministry and the PMU to implement the communication and awareness strategy and action plan as well as the stakeholders engagement plan that were produced by the project.
The specific objectives are:
- Assist the PMU to complete the design, testing and launching of the project website within the MoBEMRFS and UNDP CO.
- Produce and/or publish project’s communication materials, including photo and video content, artworks, media releases, e-newsletters, annual reports, website pages, social media pages, etc., to promote project’s visibility and engagement with key stakeholders.
- Prepare policy briefs for ministerial audiences, NGOs and civil society.
- Build awareness among key stakeholders, NGOs and civil society.
- Organize quarterly briefings and exchange sessions with media group and organize visits to project sites.
- Liaise with private sector and the concerned authorities to actively promote project goal of mainstreaming biodiversity and the concept of Ridge-to-Reef.
- Create project account in social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) and ensure these are updated in real time.
- Actively promote awareness of biodiversity conservation among school children.
- Organize project workshops and ensure full media coverage.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
- Agreed Work Plan and inception report
- Project website populated and launched, and launching of the project logo
- Develop an awareness campaign on conservation of biodiversity targeting (1) school children, (2) government officials (3) NGOs and producing at least 6 posters/pamphlets for each category of these audiences. The posters/pamphlets main topics should be on (a) Coral Reef, (b) Wetlands, (c) Agro Forestry Scheme, (d) Environmentally Sensitive Areas, (d) Integrated Coastal Zone Management and (f) SEMPA
- Three policy briefs on mainstreaming biodiversity each for Minsters, NGOs and civil society
- Two videoclips of approximately 3 minutes each
- Producing booklets of at least 20 pages on (1) on the implementation of the mainstreaming biodiversity in the coastal zone and (2) SEMPA and creating project account on social media and updating them for at least 6 months (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
- Organize 3 quarterly briefings and exchange sessions with media groups, and organize visits to project sites to promote project goal of mainstreaming biodiversity and the concept of Ridge-to-Reef.
- Organise 2 workshops to promote stakeholder engagement
- Write up of at least 3 success stories of the project and final report including lessons learned
DURATION OF WORK
This assignment is for duration of 120 working person days until June 2021.
During the field-based part of the assignment, the Consultant will be based at the Ministry of Blue Economy, Marine Resources, Fisheries and Shipping, Port Louis.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
Applications should be sent through email :firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Friday 9th October 2020 - 16:00 hours Mauritius time (GMT+4)
Annex A - Letter of confirmation of interest and availability and Submission of financial proposal
Annex B - Model Contact IC
Annex C - UNDP GCC IC
Annex D - P11
Terms of Reference
Please submit only Annex A and Annex D mandatorily.