|Communication Specialist for the Healthcare Waste Management Project (For Philippine nationals only)|
|Procurement Process :||RFP - Request for proposal
|Office :||UNDP Philippines, RBAP - PHILIPPINES |
|Posted on :||14-Feb-21|
|Development Area :||CONSULTANTS |
|Reference Number :||75385|
Link to Atlas Project :|
00131220 - Effective Response to COVID-19 in APac (HCW)
IC Offerors Letter to UNDP
General Conditions for IC
|Overview : |
Communication Specialist for the Healthcare Waste Management Project
Project Title: Learning from China's Experience to Improve the Ability of Response to COVID-19 in Asia and the Pacific Region
- Project Description
With the continuing spread of COVID-19 globally, the impact on human health and the economy intensifies. Confirmed COVID-19 cases, as well as probable and suspected cases, continue to increase in most of the regions in the Philippines, with a high concentration in Metro Manila. Proper management of the significant medical, household and other hazardous waste being generated is an urgent and essential intervention as it could pose additional risks to health and the environment. The ADB has estimated that in Metro Manila, around 280 tons per day of additional medical wastes will be generated, or 16,800 tons for 60 days. There are currently more than 11,000 metric tons of health care waste issued with a special permit to transport by the DENR since the March lockdown.
Health care facilities follow stringent guidelines in waste management issued by the Department of Health (DOH) and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR). However, with the increasing volume of medical and hazardous wastes, including infected face masks, gloves, gowns, coveralls, and other protective equipment, the capacities of hospitals, especially those catering to COVID-19 patients and probable and suspected cases, may soon be not enough. Treatment, storage, and disposal facilities and personnel in the country are also limited, mostly located in the National Capital Region. There have been reports that hospital wastes are also being refused by waste management actors due to fear that they might also get infected.
In this context, this regional COVID response project, funded by China’s South-South Cooperation Assistance Fund (SSCAF), will build on and add value to China’s and UNDP CO’s ongoing efforts to support the Philippines to reduce the risks and impacts of COVID-19 and aims to effectively improve the response to COVID-19 in the areas of medical waste management and preparedness in the Philippines. This assignment will contribute to the communication and visibility of this project at the local level.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objectives and Scope of Work
The objective of this assignment is to provide general communication support, organize launch and hand-over events, and produce various forms of project promotional materials and media press releases. The Consultant shall work closely with the Climate Action Team and the Communication Team of UNDP Philippines. Specific tasks are as follows:
Communication and visibility
- Draft agenda and communications plans for one (1) launch event and two (2) hand-over events.
- Lead the organization of these launch and hand-over events.
- Produce various forms of project promotional materials and media press releases including but not limited to the following:
- One (1) repository of all photos collected from the project activities
- One (1) post-activity video summarizing all the events
- Three (3) success stories to be featured as articles, blogs, and communications content
- Creation of social media content for all activities, and a social media analytics report on online reach and engagement
- Design and production of posters, brochures, and other communications products related to the activities.
- All photos and videos from the activities must be submitted to the supervisor in both final and raw forms. Photos and videos must be in hi-resolution and must meet UNDP standards stated in the corporate brand guidelines.
- The Consultant shall report to the Focal Programme Officer, designated in Section D and supervised by the Team Leader of the Climate Action Programme Team of the Philippine CO.
- The Consultant shall closely work with the Technical Working Group (TWG) composed of personnel from the Communication Team and the Climate Action Programme Team of the Philippine CO and the project focal person of the Embassy of China.
- The Focal Programme Officer shall review outputs/deliverables based on TWG’s comments and determine whether to accept them within ten (10) working days after submission.
Duration of Work
- The IC is expected to work for a total of 40 person-days spread over 10 months, commencing March 2021 and ending in December 2021.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
|Deliverable/Output||Estimated Duration to Complete||Target Due Dates|
|Inception Report and Communications Plan||5 working days||TBA|
|Drafting agenda and organizing one (1) launch event and two (2) hand-over events||15 working days||TBA|
|Production of various forms of project promotional materials and media press releases including 1) photo collections and one (1) video, 2) 3 success stories and 5 reports on social media, 3) design and production of posters and brochures||15 working days||TBA|
|A final report with lessons learned and findings, submission of photo and video repository, and the final communications report||5 days||TBA|
|TOTAL||40 Days|| |
- The Consultant will be required to be based in Metro Manila but not required to report to the office regularly.
- This assignment contains on-site activities in Metro Manila, while other engagements will be home-based and for accessibility and availability to allow for discussions and reporting on the progress of activities.
- Status report on the outputs shall be expected from time to time or when per requirement basis. Regular online meetings shall be conducted. The Schedule of these meetings will be discussed post-award.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN mission, vision, values, and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in meetings
- Ability to work in close collaboration with a group of national and international experts, to meet strict deadlines and plan the work according to priorities;
- Demonstrates capacity to plan, organize, and execute effectively;
- The initiative, good analytical skills, mature judgment, and ability to work under tight schedule while respecting deadlines achievement, ethics, and honesty;
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a diverse environment
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with internal and external clients;
- Demonstrated ability to function in a team environment and to deal with the complex multi-stakeholder environment
- Good ability to use information and communication technologies as tools and resources;
- Excellent written communication and presentation/public speaking skills focus on results, ability to interact productively in a teamwork environment
Required Skills and Experience
Qualifications of the Successful Individual Contractor
The successful Individual Contractor should meet the following minimum qualification:
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Social Sciences, International Relations, or a related field.
- Must have at least three (3) years of experience in media or public relations/communication and experience in graphic design
- Has successfully completed the organization of a minimum of three (3) on-site launch or hand-over events, offline conferences, and workshops, or other similar events.
Language and Capacity
- Proficiency in English and Filipino
- Good capacity to produce videos, take photos and create content using graphic design applications and platforms.
Scope of Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments
The financial proposals from possible candidates should be expressed in lump sum amount inclusive of all financial costs related to this engagement (i.e. transportation/travel within Metro Manila, health insurance for the duration of the consultancy, supplies & materials, reproduction, communications requirements including internet, digital applications, and other creatives requirements). Travel expenses to project-related activities outside of Metro Manila shall be paid for by the Project.
The Payment terms are as follows:
Submission and acceptance of Inception Report
Submission and acceptance of the following:
- agenda drafts of one (1) launch event and two (2) hand-over events.
- Corresponding project promotional materials and media press releases, including photo collections and at least one (1) report on social media per event.
Aug 20, 2021
Submission and acceptance of the following
- project promotional materials and media press releases for other project activities.
- Final report with lessons learnt and findings.
Dec 3, 2021
Recommended Presentation of Offer
- Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability (UNDP template).
- Personal Curriculum Vitae, indicating all past experiences from similar projects as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three (3) professional references with contact information.
- Financial Proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs, as per template provided. If an Offeror is employed by an organization/company/institution, and he/she expects his/her employer to charge a management fee in the process of releasing him/her to UNDP under Reimbursable Loan Agreement (RLA), the Offeror must indicate at this point and ensure that all such costs are duly incorporated in the financial proposal submitted to UNDP. Medical/health insurance must be purchased by the individual at his/her own expense, and upon award of contract, the consultant must be ready to submit proof of insurance valid during the contract duration.
- Submission of three sample works related to communication, public relations, or press releases, including at least one (1) video clip, one (1) activity report with photos, and a sample was written article
Offerors must upload in one (1) file the aforementioned documents.
Templates for a) P11 Personal History Form and b) Offeror's Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability and Financial Proposal (Annex 2) are available through the link below. UNDP General Terms and Conditions for Individual Contractors are also available:
Incomplete submission of required documents may result in disqualification.
Please see the deadline of submissions above.
In view of the volume of applications, UNDP receives, only shortlisted offerors will be notified.
Criteria for Selection of Best Offer
The combined scoring method where the qualifications will be weighted a maximum of 70% and combined with the price offer which will be weighted a max of 30% shall be adopted. Only applicants that will receive 70 points from the review of technical qualifications (CV and sample outputs) will proceed to the financial evaluation.
The technical qualification will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
Points Obtainable (100 points)
Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Social Sciences, International Relations, or a related field.
(Minimum 17.5 points for Bachelor’s degree, additional points for additional degree, maximum of 25 points)
Must have at least three (3) years of experience in media or public relations/communication and experience in graphic design
(Minimum 24 points for 3 years’ experience, additional 3 points for each additional year, maximum of 33 points;
Work experience with UNDP and other UN agencies is advantageous (+3 points but not exceeding the maximum of 33 points).
Has successfully completed the organization of a minimum of three (3) project on-site launch or hand-over events, offline conferences, and workshops, or other similar events.
(Minimum 15 points for organizing 3 events, additional points for each additional event, maximum of 21 points)
Language and Capacity
Proficiency in English and Filipino
pass / fail
Submission of three sample works related to communication, public relations, or press releases, including at least one (1) video clip, one (1) activity report with photos, and one (1) sample was written article
(7 points per qualified sample work, maximum of 21 points)
You may also view the above posting in:
UNDP Jobs - 96928- Communication Specialist for the Healthcare Waste Management Project