Independent Contractor – National Biodiversity Conservation Expert (Mauritian Nationals only)
The project was received by GEF on 14th of July 2016 and the preparation grant was approved on 28th of September 2016. The concept was approved on the 3rd of October 2016 and project was approved for implementation on 27th of July 2019. A Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of Agro Industry and Food Security and UNDP was signed on 6th of August 2019. The total cost of the project is 28,547,793 USD with 4M USD from GEF Project Grant and 24.5M USD as co- financing. The project implementation started in 2021 and the duration is six years (72 months).
Objective of the Assignment
A National Biodiversity conservation expert will be recruited to collaborate with and support the CTA in conducting his/her tasks.
S/he should have a solid expertise in biodiversity conservation initiatives, coordinating/facilitating several working groups and maintaining integrity of the outputs. Under the supervision of the CTA, S/he will provide in-depth technical advice and proactive support to the PMU and other national specialists.
Throughout the assignment the Biodiversity Conservation expert will work under the direct supervision of the CTA and Project Manager under overall guidance of UNDP’s Head of Environment Unit. The Consultant shall establish close cooperation with other national and international experts involved in the corresponding activities of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
The local Biodiversity conservation expert will assist the CTA in all aspects of the project implementation, mainly on – but not limited to – the following elements:
- Preparatory Technical Studies and Reviews: Prepare inputs and support the required analyses/studies, as agreed with the CTA
- Assist in preliminary action with regards to the implementation status of previous NIASSAP and identify the gaps and propose the way ahead in close collaboration with the Consultant (NIASS/NIASSAP) and assess the progress and delivrables
- Assist in the assessment of the delivrables of the company recruited to support the establishment of national and inter-island biosecurity priorities and resource needs
- Support the preparation of costed IAS management plans for all the pilot sites- Mauritius (3 sites), Rodrigues (2 sites) & St Brandon (1 Site)
- Participate in the preparation of nomination files and securing gazettement for Mourouk Valley as a Nature Reserve in collaboration with PMU
- Assist in the preparation of draft PA management plans, stakeholder participation plans and PA sustainable financing plans for Mourouk Nature Reserve.
- Support in the drafting TORs and evaluation exercise for the recruitment of the consultant for the finalising of PA management plans, stakeholder participation plans and PA sustainable financing plans for Mourouk Nature Reserve.
- Support in the drafting TORs and evaluation exercise for the recruitment of 2 local consultants to assist the international consultants to undertake the climate change and IAS scenario mapping as well as the cost benefit analysis of IAS management and control
- Support in the drafting TORs and evaluation exercise for the recruitment of 2 international consultants to undertake the climate change and IAS scenario mapping as well as the cost benefit analysis of IAS management and control. benefit analysis of IAS management and control
- Provide assistance in the drafting TORs and evaluation exercise for the recruitment of to develop the database and design the IAS information management system
- Assist in the assessment of the deliverables of the company recruited to to develop the database and design the IAS information management system
- Provide assistance in finalising a monitoring protocol to review the effectiveness of Project communication and outreach activities
- Provide technical assistance and backstopping for awareness activities
- Assist in the review of all training materials and the implementation of the technical training programme in technical training modules in IAS management for institution staff
- Produce quarterly progress reports
This assignment is for duration of 240 days over a period of 3 years.
Submission of Application
Applications should be sent through email : email@example.com on or before Tuesday 15 June 2021 - 16:00 hours Mauritius time (GMT+4)
Annex A - Letter of confirmation of interest and availability and Submission of financial proposal
Annex B - Model Contact IC
Annex C - UNDP GCC IC
Annex D - P11
Terms of Reference