The CSOs in The Gambia emerged from the 2016 transition more confident and determined to hold the government accountable having regained their voice, strength and independence after 22 years of authoritarian rule that constrained the capacity of CSOs to hold the duty bearers and service providers accountable to the citizenry. Key challenges and capacity gaps in social accountability, strategic communication, participatory monitoring, and evaluation prevent CSOs from playing an active role in holding duty bearers accountable and advocating for policy proposals to advance the social justice agenda. Social accountability is about transforming relations between civil society and state actors by creating collaborative relationships but CSOs continue struggling to identify modes of engagement with the state and other stakeholders that could lead to a constructive and positive contribution to the process of change, beyond street mobilization.
At the same time, traditional development funding (soft loans and grants) is still largely channeled to the government but CSOs are increasingly receiving a significant share of these resources to implement development projects in communities. This has opened opportunities for CSOs to strengthen their monitoring and evaluation capacities to improve performance, transparency and strengthen internal governance systems to have a competitive edge and attract more resources from donors and private sector. Additionally, CSOs have an important role and responsibility in the development of the information society through strategic communication methods. In this regard, TANGO with support from UNDP, is looking for a consultant to build the knowledge and skills of CSOs in social accountability, strategic communication, participatory monitoring, and evaluation.
Specific Tasks and Scope of Service
- In close consultation with the TANGO team and UNDP, develop inception plan/training agenda with timelines.
- Develop pre and post training assessments.
- Conduct training sessions using power point presentations, discussions, groups work, and individual exercises.
- Submit final training report with recommendations.
- Providing any other support as necessary for the successful completion of the training.
- High quality, effective training materials/presentations and agenda to guide training sessions
- Inception report; high quality, informative and interactive training sessions
- Final training report with recommendations
The qualified candidates must have:
- Advanced university degree in Development studies, Social Sciences, law, Project Management, or a related field.
- 5years experience working in Governance, human rights, or sustainable development fields.
- Professional background in building capacity of CSO in social accountability, strategic communication, participatory monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in working with UN agencies and other international organizations.
- Demonstrable, excellent communication and presentation skills. English fluency is required.
The duration of the assignment will be 7 working days from the day of contract signature.
Submit Technical and Financial Proposals to: email@example.com
Email subject: Capacity Building of CSOs