|Overview : |
Apply to this link: UNDP Jobs - 99750- Project and Knowledge Management Specialist
UNDP’s Strategic Plan emphasizes the critical links between environmental sustainability, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and broader efforts to achieve the goals of the 2030 Agenda and Paris Agreement. UNDP’s Nature, Climate Change, and Energy (NCE) Team promotes and scales up integrated whole-of-governance approaches and nature-based solutions that reduce poverty and inequalities, strengthen livelihoods and inclusive growth, and promote more resilient governance systems.
The NCE Team works with governments, civil society, and private sector partners to integrate natural capital, environment and climate concerns into national and sector planning and inclusive growth policies; support country obligations under Multilateral Environmental Agreements. The portfolio encompasses: Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services; Sustainable Land Management and Desertification; Water and Ocean Governance; Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation; Renewable and Modern Energy; Extractive Industries; Chemicals and Waste Management; Environmental Governance and Green/Circular Economy. This work advances crosscutting themes on innovative finance, digital transformation, capacity development, human rights, gender equality, health, technology, and South-South learning.
Sound chemical and waste management could reduce the risks of exposure to hazardous chemicals and protect the human health and environment. UNDP Montreal Protocol/chemical Unit focuses on providing policy and technical advisory, design and implementation oversight to the chemical projects funded by GEF, MLF, and bilateral donors. Currently, UNDP supports 85 countries in meeting their obligations under the Montreal Protocol, Stockholm convention, Minamata convention, as well as strategic approach of international chemical management (SAICM). UNDP has been on the forefront of efforts to advance the Kigali Amendment to tackle the climate change and improve cooling efficiency by partnering with developing countries, MLF, GEF, K-CEP, CCAC, Cool Coalition, bilateral donors and private sectors. UNDP’s Chemicals and Waste Programme helps client countries improve their capacities for sustainable production and consumption, clean air action plan, integrated waste management (healthcare waste, E-waste, plastics), sustainable and non-chemical development in SIDS, promotion of Green/Circular Economy, resource efficiency, good practice in Artisanal and Gold Mining sector (ASGM).
In recent years, MPU/Chemical has secured more resources from bilateral donors to fill the gaps that the vertical funds didn’t cover. Building on strong portfolio across all regions supported by the Multilateral Fund, MPU has expended its work scope to integrate the activities of enhancing the energy efficiency of cooling and heating with the refrigeration transition to amplify the climate impact of the Kigali Amendment of the Montreal Protocol. MPU has been successfully partnering with Kigali-Cooling Efficiency Programme (K-CEP) in supporting 12 countries in the development of the National Cooling Plans, energy efficiency plan in supermarket, as well as Minimum Energy Performance Standard (MEPS). MPU also provided policy and technical supports to SIDS and Low Volume Countries to help access the low-GWP and highly efficient technologies. In December 2020, International Climate Initiative (IKI) approved Cool-Me programme to scale up sustainable cooling in the Middle East with UNDP as one key partner. To strengthen the work of integrated sustainable cooling solutions, MPU is looking to engage a professional to support the implementation of above-mentioned initiatives.
- Institutional Arrangement
The Specialist will work under the supervision of MPU Regional Technical Advisor in Bangkok Hub. For the task 4) of project management for the Cool-me Programme, the contractor will work under the supervision of MPU regional technical specialist in Istanbul Hub.
Duties and Responsibilities
The specialist is expected to provide services outlined in below. It is estimated that 100% time will be needed from July 1 to December 31 of 2021.
Knowledge management and communication on highly efficient cooling initiatives (40% time)
- Collect and compile the findings, results and recommendations from the activities under the K-CEP that were implemented by UNDP, draft a synthesis reports for knowledge sharing;
- Coordinate with MPU regional team to organize at least 1 Webinar to exchange the information of national cooling plans, including forecast of the market demand, technology roadmap, strategy, policy and relationship with the HPMP and HFC phase-down schedule;
- Coordinate with MPU regional team to organize 1 webinar on the MEPS and labeling system.
Integration of Energy Efficiency Best Practice in Servicing Sector
- Develop a briefing of best practice on enhancing energy efficiency in servicing sector
- Provide training to stakeholders of SIDS and Low Volume Countries.
- Peer review project proposal and activities in relation to the energy efficiency.
Partnerships, Climate Promise
- Engage with relevant stakeholders and participate in relevant Fora of partners for EE interventions such as the K-CEP, CCAC and the Cool Coalition.
- Explore the partnership with IFIs and specific sectors (such as health sector) to promote the sustainable cooling, support UNDP country offices and partners in identifying of finance opportunities, developing initiatives and project proposals.
- Support Climate Promise and advocate cooling efficiency actions in NDCs.
Project name: Cool Me – Scaling up sustainable cooling in the Middle East
Countries: Egypt, Jordan, Turkey, Lebanon
Donor: Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety (BMU)
- Assume primary responsibility for the daily project management of activities;
- Prepare annual work plans, including financial plans, in consultation with UNDP Country offices and project partners, ensure the plans approval in a timely manner, ensure adherence thereto, revise work plans as required;
- Help the set-up of annual delivery target in UNDP country offices, coordinate partners and stakeholders to ensure that project activities are implemented in accordance with the approved work plans and budget table and budget notes as approved by the donors;
- Support the recruitment of project personnel and short-term consultants, along with procurement of goods and services performed by the project in accordance with the Project Document and with approved annual work plans;
- Monitor risks and project impact indicators as per the project logical framework. Timely undertakes actions to eliminate/reduce risks and issues;
- Ensure proper operational and financial management of the project in line with the relevant UNDP rules and procedures;
- Collect and report the progress and result of the implementation.
UN CORE VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
Professionalism:Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication:Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
Master’s degree in Public/Business Administration, environment, economics, chemicals, or other closely related field
Min. years of relevant Work experience
5 years’ international experience in the area of implementation of the Montreal Protocol, or environmental projects in relation to the cooling sector.
Collaboration and Partnership building: Experience in engagement with other agencies, donors, and development stakeholders and forging productive working relationships.
Trends and emerging areas analytics: Experience in scanning the horizon to identify approaches and initiatives and apply to policy and programme design.
Knowledge management and communication: Experience in capturing, developing, sharing and effective use of information and knowledge, including synthesis, communication and dissemination in a clear manner.
Global/Regional programming and implementation: Experience in coordination and leadership in regional project development and implementation
Desired additional skills
Gender and Safeguard: Knowledge of gender equality and safeguard policy of UNDP. Ability to apply the policy and ensure the compliance.
Work experience in implementation of regional projects in Europe, Mideast and Africa are desirable.
Experience on the strategic programming related to cooling technology transfer and introduction of climate friendly alternatives in developing countries is highly desirable.
Experience with UNDP or UNDP administered projects is highly desirable.
Required Language(s) (at working level)
English, proficiency of another UN language will be a clear advantage