|Overview : |
TERMS OF REFERENCE
• Description: the development and implementation of Private Sector Engagement for São Tomé & Príncipe revised NDC implementation.
• Title project: Delivering the Climate Promise in Sao Tome and Principe (STP)
• Duration: 10 months
• Place of work: Sao Tome and Principe
• Start date: Upon signing the contract
Scope of work and responsibilities
The objective of the overall required services is to:
i) Strengthen involvement and participation of private sector and private investment (both local and foreign) in climate relevant economic areas to maximize contributions to climate mitigation and adaptation in line with green growth principles, the national NDC as well as other climate and blue/green economy policy.
ii) Raise awareness both from public and private side on the economic and social role of private sector and private investment in the implementation of the NDC, and achievement of low-carbon and resilient development.
iii) Highlight economic wins coupled to environmental /climate gains and showcase viability of low carbon pathways promoting resource efficiency and circular and resilient economy.
Description of work and activities
The UNDP STP aim to hire a service provider that can assist in developing such activities and engagement model for business in STP. Shortlisted service provider is expected to identify top private sector segments prominent in São Tomé and Príncipe and create a mapping of the sectors thereby establishing the current position of the sectors and the impact opportunities. With stakeholder consultation, public awareness,
and capacity building activities, identify various risk profiles, media scan and sector priorities, service provider can create indicative maps of sectors and their relevance to the different expected investment needed to implement STP’s NDC. Using these information and value mapping of the priority sectors, an NDC Business Opportunity Report will be developed that can give an enabling environment for businesses to act on implementation of NDC related investments, assess their performance on the expected results of the NDC and set targets for further action.
Envisaged activities to be implemented are:
1. Implement advocacy campaign to scale up Private Sector engagement and investment & financing commitments to support the NDC implementation.
a. Training Private Sector entities,
b. Execute advocacy campaign.
2. Analysis of policy and regulatory barriers and bottlenecks to private investments in Mitigation and Adaptation actions, support the development of enabling environment and incentives to attract Private Sector investment in NDC priority sectors, including:
a. study on policy and regulatory barriers;
b. workshop(s) to present study and/or for study input;
c. potential proposal to develop incentives scheme (low-carbon, resilient economy and investment);
3. Develop proposals to support Government to attract private investment, especially into NDC action areas such as:
a. feasibility studies on private climate finance;
b. training for government officials;
c. propose recommendations and concrete actions (plans, projects, interventions)
d. develop pipeline of bankable projects in the NDC areas, linking them to green and youth jobs, vulnerable groups (in NDC relevant areas
In general, the service provider (firm/consortium) will accompany and complement the above activities by ensuring:
a) Organization of and participation in the necessary meetings and trainings to increase capacity of national partners, climate knowledge among institution technicians, decision-makers and relevant stakeholder (e.g. workshop/training for directorate technicians, CSOs, etc.);
b) Establishment and update of a detailed workplan and schedule for the execution of the activities;
c) Execute the activities and deliver products over max. 10 months, covering organization/logistical aspects as well as any expenses derived from this.