|Overview : |
The Department of Energy (DoE) under the Ministry of Climate of Change (MoCC), Vanuatu with support from the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) are currently implementing a Global Environment Facility (GEF 6) funded project referred to as the Barrier Removal for Achieving National Energy Road Map Target of Vanuatu (BRANTV) Project for the Vanuatu Government to address the National Energy Road Map (NERM) rollout. The project is managed by the Project Management Unit (PMU) which sits under the DoE.
The overall project objective is to enable the achievement of the energy access, sustainable energy, and green growth targets of Vanuatu, as represented in the country’s NERM. Central to the approach is BRANTV’s implementation of Vanuatu’s Rural Off-Grid and Energy Efficient (EE) Promotion Program which includes demonstrations on: pico-/micro hydropower mini-grid system; pico-/micro hydro PV hybrid mini-grid system, community-scale solar PV systems, family compound-scale PV Nano solar systems; and applications of EE cook stoves, and productive, livelihood-enhancing uses of renewable energy (RE) and EE.
The Project Management Unit (PMU) in its Annual Work Plan 2022 has priority areas for implementation to achieve yearly targets. The main focus is on implementations of technical and economically viable demonstrations of Renewable Energy Systems and Energy Efficiency. Other related activities are also of priority to promote capacity building and awareness, gender assessment, enforcement of standards, policies, and regulations of RE and EE systems and collaborations between productive sectors for sustainable management of the energy systems in the rural areas.
With so much have been accomplished during the last four years of project implementation, the PMU requires the support of a communications and visibility consultant to develop communications knowledge and materials to promote success stories of these project demonstrations. In particular show casing the beneficiaries and the impact RE and EE technologies have had contributed towards their daily livelihood. Furthermore, communications materials will support the funding donor Global Environment Facility (GEF) and United Nation Development Programme (UNDP) and the implementing partner Ministry of Climate Change Department of Energy knowledge of the efforts done to achieve the project objectives and targets.
The main objective of this assignment is to develop communications knowledge and materials to promote success stories of these project demonstrations. Specific objectives are:
To produce short video of the project demo sites and its impact
To produce success stories booklet, brochure and flyer of different interventions of the project
To update the DOE website with BRANTV information and results
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Scope of Work
The consultant is required to produce communications and knowledge content of the BRANTV project. Moreso to produce promotional materials to be published for public knowledge on all platforms of communications strategy including social media and TV broadcast. The main activities demonstrated by the project is implementation of Renewable Energy (RE) PV solar and Pico-hydropower systems to supply electricity and Energy Efficient cook stoves and copra dryer. The specifications of audio and content productions are provided in the following manner.
- The production of videos will include script writing, interviews, videography, editing, audio balancing, subtitling, format exporting, archiving raw and edited work etc. All videos produced must be of the highest quality to adequately represent the organization. The optimal standards are: 1080 25p/1080 29.97p or 30p. All material should be shot in 16:9, HD 1080 4K or any recent video format use by the professional.
- To conduct interviews of Communities from the Project demonstration sites the consultant shall use their own HD quality video camera and professional editing software.
- Record and edit narration/ voice over where needed in according with guidance from relevant key.
- Develop digital content for social media in collaboration with the communication team
- Embed sub-titles in the video as per need.
- Audio balance the final product and convert it in formats for use on TV, radio, web, social media.
- Clearly identify name, title and organization of interviewees, quotes and any relevant details.
Include appropriate partners branding and crediting Global Environment Facility (GEF) and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Ministry of Climate Change, Department of Energy ownership for the produced videos.
- Archive the edited output in an external hard disk.
- Photo documentation that will successfully capture and emotionally express the core elements of the situation assigned for coverage.
- The coverage will include different visual perspectives (close-up, medium range, long distance), with a preference for portrait framing, as noted.
- Photos will be technically good (properly exposed, framed, focused, and edits well optimized).
- Complete caption information and other metadata will be embedded in the files, as described.
- Use photos that will be technically good (properly exposed, framed, focused, and edits well optimized)
- Design and edit a photo album in 10 copies.
- Ensure branding and donor visibility on events and related materials
- Coordinate with regional project team on national campaigns
- Assist in generation of knowledge products and promotional materials from consultations and major events
- Assist in knowledge management and documentation of the project results
- Update and systematization of the project publications database including communication materials, knowledge products, photos and videos
- Support to existing DOE local website to update and add BRANTV page and information.
Expected outputs and Deliverables
The specific deliverables of the Communications and visibility Consultant are to:
Inception Report covering Overall Strategy - Develop communications strategy for 2022 and 2023 to deliver on the objectives
- Prepare four promotional videos for each of the RE and EE technology demonstrated by the project; community scale PV solar systems, pico-hydropower PV solar hybrid mini-grid systems, family-compound nano-grid and energy efficient cook stoves and copra dryer which will be advertised on TV, websites and social media platforms. In the video develop success stories of target groups (chiefs, women, men and youth) from demo sites that will be featured in the video production.
The final edition of short video productions of four RE and EE technologies demonstrated by BRANTV project.
- Pico-hydropower PV solar hybrid mini-grid on Loltong North Pentecost,
- Family-Compound PV Solar Nano-Grid on Liro Paama,
- Combine video of all Community scale PV Solar systems of 34 sites.
- Energy efficient Cook Stoves and copra dryer.
- Develop communications content in the form of booklet, brochures, flyers and posters of all 37 demonstration sites. The communications content will contain detail information of each demonstration sites. Such information about location name, RE technology type, capacity, population data and impact of energy access and energy use on their lives. The communications content to be review and edited by parties involve, UNDP Suva office, PMU and DOE for a final output.
Renewable Energy Demos:
- Print 10 booklets of 34 demo sites
- Print 10 brochures of 34 demo sites
- Print 10 flyers of 34 demo sites
- Print 10 posters each of 34 demo sites
Energy Efficient Demos
- Print 10 booklets of cook stoves and copra dryer
- Print 10 brochures of cook stoves and copra dryer
- Print 10 flyers of cook stoves and copra dryer
- Print 10 posters of cook stoves and copra dryer
Note: The printing cost will be supported by the BRANTV project
- Publish materials online on department of energy website and on social media.
Publish information online for public reading. Conduct national awareness through roadshow and talk-back shows on national TV and radio.
The Communications and Visibility Consultant will work closely with the PMU team, the Communications Officer of the DOE and the Electrification team. The consultant will directly report to Director, DOE in overall and to the BRANTV Project Manager in day to day matters. The PMU and DoE will provide support to ensure deliverables are achieved.
Duration of the Work
For 9 months from October 2022 to 15th June 2023.
The consultant will be required to work from home and may from time to time be stationed with the PMU team. Office space will be provided at the DoE office.
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities skills;
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and report on work;
- Comprehensiveness knowledge of building energy efficiency;
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Positive, constructive attitude to work;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Proficiency in computer packages; good working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet programs, particularly MS Word, MS Power Point and MS Excel and on-line communication/conference and training platforms such as Zoom, Google meet, WhatApp, etc.
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior members of national institutions.
- Excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize relevant collected data and findings for the preparation of quality policy analysis
- Excellent coordination skills and result oriented collaboration with colleagues
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Required Skills and Experience
The consultant should possess the following expertise and qualifications:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, media relations, journalism or any other related field.
- 7 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in electronic and print media, production of brochure, success stories, flyer, video and other advocacy and communication materials ;
- Strong writing and editing skills in English;
- Experience in social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube) management and/or online news, including data analysis;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Good command of graphic design tools (e.g.: Adobe Creative Suite);
- Experience in developing compelling human-interest stories is desirable, brochure, flyer, stories, and short video
- Demonstrable effective and creative communications skills;
- Results-driven, initiative-taking, ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to work independently or with very limited guidance;
- Highly motivated with a positive attitude and problem-solving approach;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent writing skills of English language is required. Working level knowledge of local language is desirable.
Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments
Consultant must send a financial proposal based on Lump Sum Amount. The total amount quoted shall be all-inclusive and include all costs components required to perform the deliverables identified in the TOR, including professional fee, and any other applicable cost to be incurred by the IC in completing the assignment. The contract price will fixed output-based price regardless of extension of the herein specified duration. Payments will be done upon completion of the deliverables/outputs and as per below percentages:
Estimate Duration to Complete
Target Due Dates
Inception Report covering Overall Strategy
Develop communications strategy for 2022 and 2023 to deliver on the objectives
20th October 2022
10% of the Contract amount
25 % progress on Deliverables 2, 3 and 4
31st December 2022
20 % of the Contract amount
50% progress on Deliverable 2,3 and 4
28th February 2023
20% of the Contract amount
75% progress on Deliverables 2,3 and 4
30th April 2023
20% of the Contract amount
100% progress on Deliverables 2, 3 and 4 followed by a completion report
30% of the Contract amount
In general, UNDP shall not accept travel costs exceeding those of an economy class ticket. Should the IC wish to travel on a higher class he/she should do so using their own resources
In the event of unforeseeable travel not anticipated in this TOR, payment of travel costs including tickets, lodging and terminal expenses should be agreed upon, between the respective business unit and the Individual Consultant, prior to travel and will be reimbursed.
Evaluation Method and Criteria
Only candidates which are responsive and compliant will be evaluated. Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following Cumulative analysis methodology.
The award of the contract shall be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as a) responsive/compliant/acceptable; and b) having received the highest score out of set of weighted technical criteria (70%). and financial criteria (30%). Financial score shall be computed as a ratio of the proposal being evaluated and the lowest priced proposal received by UNDP for the assignment.
Technical Criteria for Evaluation (Maximum 70 points)
- Criteria 1: Bachelor’s degree in communications, media relations, journalism or any other related field – Max 10 points;
- Criteria 2: 7 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in electronic and print media, -– Max 10 points
- Criteria 3: Strong writing and editing skills in English; -Max 10 points
- Criteria 4: Experience in social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube) management and/or online news, including data analysis– Max 10 points
- Criteria 5: Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems-Max 10 points
- Criteria 6: Command of graphic design tools (e.g.: Adobe Creative Suite)- Max 10 points
- Criteria 7: Experience in developing compelling human-interest stories is desirable, brochure, flyer, stories, and short video-Max 10 points
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70 points for technical criteria would be considered for the Interview and Financial Evaluation.
Shortlisted candidates shall be called for an interview which will be used to confirm and/or adjust the technical scores awarded based on documentation submitted.
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications. Please group them into one (1) single PDF document as the application only allows to upload maximum one document:
- Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided in Annex II.
- Personal CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references.
- Technical proposal, including a) a brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment; and b) a methodology, on how they will approach and complete the assignment.
- Financial proposal, as per template provided in Annex II. Note: National consultants must quote prices in United States Dollars (USD).
Note: Successful individual will be required to provide proof of medical insurance coverage before commencement of contract for the duration of the assignment.
Incomplete and joint proposals may not be considered. Consultants with whom there is further interest will be contacted. The successful consultant shall opt to sign an Individual Contract or a Reimbursable Loan Agreement (RLA) through its company/employer with UNDP.
For any clarification regarding this assignment please write to email@example.com
Please visit UNDP job site link:UNDP Jobs and find the Job title under Climate & Disaster Resiliance section to submit your online application