The objective of this terms of reference is to find high- quality technical experts in digital finance that are capable of providing advisory and advocacy support to help achieve the Alliance’s goal of catalyzing a movement from cash to digital payments and support members of the Alliance to adopt digital payment instrument methods
Individual Consultants are expected to provide advocacy, research, advisory services, capacity building, and technical assistance interventions in the following areas:
- Support elaboration of an informed and sound ecosystem with the focus on strengthening strategy or roadmap for responsible digital payments.
- Technical advice to support the implementation of the Alliance strategy with a focus on gender; manage activities and institutional relations for in-country projects/programs.
- Promote and accelerate the transition from cash payments towards responsible digital payments and financial inclusion.
- Conduct research on the responsible digitization of payments, drawing insights and lessons for other countries or members of the Alliance following a similar path/responsible practices.
The Expert must prove knowledge and practical experience in one or more of the following themes:
- Implementation of responsible practices in line with the ‘ UN Principles for Responsible Digital Payments’
- Digital payments
- Gender and digital payments
- Gender and digital financial inclusion
- APIs and platform/data integration
- Merchant Digitization
- Recourse mechanisms
- Consumer protection
- Data privacy
- Digitization of agriculture payments
- Digitization of humanitarian payments
- Digitization of G2P payments (i.e. social welfare payments, emergency relief transfers)
- Digitization of business payments, including B2B (supply chains), B2P (wages)
- Digitization of humanitarian assistance payments
- Digital identity
- Regulation of digital financial services
- Financial inclusion policy
- Financial literacy and training for digital payments and financial services
- Keeping money digital (digital ecosystems development)
- Climate finance
- Climate finance and gender resilience
- Artificial Intelligence, machine learning, and algorithms bias in the context of digital payments
- Remittances (international and domestic)
- SCOPE OF THE SERVICES REQUIRED
Financial Inclusion experts are expected to provide technical assistance and support to Governments or companies members of the Alliance be called upon to support the Alliance activities across its three key verticals:
- Advocacy Services
- Advisory to Member services and,
- Research and Innovation
- Support elaboration of an informed and sound ecosystem strengthening strategy or roadmap for responsible digital payments.
- Provide advisory and technical advice to support the implementation of the Alliance strategy with a focus on gender; manage activities and institutional relations for in-country projects /program
- Help promote and accelerate the transition from cash payments toward responsible digital payments and financial inclusion
- Conduct deep-dive research on the responsible digitization of payments, drawing insights and lessons for other countries or members of the Alliance following a similar path/responsible practices.
- Conduct scoping missions in selected countries: As part of its programme activity, the Alliance conducts scoping missions in order to map out market trends and developments, asses institutional capacity, verify programme assumptions and identify partnership opportunities.
- Advise selected partners on project implementation: Assist partners selected by the Alliance in the design, pilot or roll-out of digital payment solutions with the inclusion of UN Digital Payment principles
- Technical Advisory services
- Institutional strategies
- International good practices and standards.
- Technical Advice in the set-up, piloting and roll-out of digital solutions with adopting the UN Responsible
- Metrics and design elements for gender-disaggregated data systems.
- Implementation plans
- Concept notes
- Regulatory assessments and diagnostic
- Gap analysis of regulations
- Comparative policy analysis
- Policy recommendations
- Research and Innovation
- Design system and training requirements.
- Research Papers
- Lessons learned reports and recommendations.
- Demand side analysis identifying key behaviours to be changed to increased uptake and usage of digital solutions. Data will be desegregated by sex, age and other relevant demographic or geographic segmentation as necessary.
- Advocacy Strategies
- Advocacy engagement
Deliverables and Expected Results
For each specific assignment, the UNCDF will develop a specific Terms of Reference (TOR) with detailed scope of work, expected deliverables and project timeline which will be sent to qualified partners. Upon receipt of the TOR, the consultant will be requested to share confirmation of interest for attending the assignment and submit a financial proposal based on the work requirements and timeline specified in the TOR. The indicated outputs and delivery schedules can be different in each assignment and will be detailed in each Term of Reference (TOR) specifies per assignment.
- Approach and Methodology
The Better Than Cash Alliance (BTCA) is looking to hire Experts and Senior Technical Experts to support the Alliance’s work to advance responsible digital payments and provide advisory services (including policy and regulatory advice, expertise in financial inclusion and digital payments, experience in promoting inclusive innovation processes and expertise in capacity/skill-building) to support the development of program interventions in the above-mentioned payment streams.
This solicitation is for a long-term agreement (LTA) for three years. “LTA” refers to a mutual arrangement whereby the consultant will provide services as required, over a specific period. An LTA specifies the unit price, allowing for a framework agreement to be used when the contractors’ services are needed
An LTA is a framework agreement between UNCDF and individual where the latter may, at any time within the duration of the LTA, be required to render the agreed services at deliverable-based prices for a minimum period of 12 months, with potential extension for up to three (3) additional years, depending on satisfactory performance of the individual.
Under an LTA, Better Than Cash Alliance program does not guarantee that any specific quantity of services shall be purchased during the term of this agreement. The LTA does not form a financial obligation or commitment from UNCDF at the time the LTA contract is signed, and such an agreement is non-exclusive.
Over the past three years, the Alliance has established rosters for experts and senior experts, table data below demonstrating the historical data trends under each roster:
Senior Expert roster
Number of experts in each roster
23 Senior Experts
Range of contract values
$48,000 - $255,000
Percentage (%) Of utilization based on the total amount for each roster
For this LTA, UNCDF would like to reach a total of 80 entries in the combined roster of experts and senior experts. However, if this number is not reached, the creation of the roster will still proceed.
Based on the objectives mentioned under section B “Specific Objective”, this TOR has been divided into 2 LOTS based on the preferred level of seniority, depth of knowledge, background, and years of experience.
UNCDF seeks to establish Long Term Agreements (LTAs) with multiple experts and senior experts under the following LOTS:
- Lot 001. Senior Experts in Digital Payments
- Lot 002. Experts in Digital Payments
Under both lots, the experts will support the Alliance’s goal of catalyzing a movement from cash to digital payments and support members of the Alliance to adopt digital payment instrument methods.
Bidders must apply to only one lot that highly corresponds to their level of seniority, knowledge, background, and years of experience as reflected in the section Professional Qualifications of the Successful Consultants.
Technical and Financial proposals must be submitted separately, for financial proposals, it should be password protected.
For full details of this opportunity and the application process please refer to the UNCDF Jobs - 109212- Framework agreement for the services of an Individ (undp.org) and the attached terms of reference.